1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Final decision on GPU and Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karas, 24 Nov 2012.

1. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Alrighty, so I THINK I came to a conclusion on what I would like to upgrade to this year but to finalize it all I want bit-techs opinion! Right now I have a gtx 460 1gb, and viewsonic VA2431wm

Now this is the monitor i'd like to grab ASUS VE278Q http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103 Now is this worth the upgrade? I'm not to great with monitors but I already know the monitor master on this forum will swing through and let me know. Mainly wanting to know LED vs LED blacklit LCD monitors

Now for GPU, i'm pretty set on this EVGA gtx 660ti Signature F.T.W Edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130837 Only downfall I see is the cooling situation with it not blowing out the back of the case and blowing it back into it.

Please let me know asap on any possible alternatives that will be better for me in the long run! The monitors sale ends 11/26

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The only thing I'd say is that the VE278Q is still the same resolution as your current screen, just larger - if I was to upgrade my monitor, I'd want a higher resolution along with it

3. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was told this a few times and I can't really think of what to do about it lol. I mean I could look for a higher res monitor, but then the price range jumps dramatically. This seems like the best for the price

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I would rather jump to a GTX 670 to be honest.

If you are set upon a GTX 660 Ti this looks like the better deal to me...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3668-KR

Features a GTX 660 Ti at $329.99 after mail in rebate, 3GB of Video Memory, Backplate and also Borderlands 2 along with Assassins Creed 3! :thumb:

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Things will just be bigger with a 27inch monitor 1920x1080, compared to a 23inch 1920x1080... like you change your TV with a bigger one. They are good if you like to play games further away from your desk.

The problem is that higher screen resolutions are really aimed at the more professional market... that is why the price jumps. Build quality is higher, they can true 8-bit per channel panels, the panel is higher grade than the rest of similar technology, and/or more features.

Why do you want to upgrade your monitor? Is it for the size? do you want better colors? speed?

Last edited: 24 Nov 2012
  6. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Well, I was looking at 670's but there was 2 things holding me back. 1, being the fact it is a lot more expensive and I really am trying my best not to spend over 300$ and 2, It said recommended 500w psu. I have a 550w Antec psu and I really don't doubt I would be fine but 660ti just ensures me that much more. But thanks a lot actually for that link I think i'll actually go with that one! i'll probably hold off on a monitor. Wait until I can get a higher res 27" when I get more money and the 3gb will definitely help.

7. GoodBytes

That would be better. So that this time you get another garbage bin monitor, and get something decent.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If you're thinking of getting a monitor with above 1920 by 1080 resolution then you really should seriously consider a GTX 670. One of these cards can fire through games at my resolution of 2560 by 1440. The reduced memory bus of the 660 Ti would hinder at this resolution.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

For a display I got an Achieva Shimian qh270 for $300 shipped. It's a baller ips 2560x1440 display, just like Apple cinema. Yes it has not AG coating, but I don't have it pointed facing a window so it's not a problem for me, I don't see myself when I am using it as so many like to go on about without AG display. The only thing I was dissapoint was the stand. It really is not very good at all. Also it arrived without the bolt holes threaded lol, lucky I own a tap set. But It had no dead or stuck pixel even and it looks amazing which is what count the most. Overall I can easily reccomend it at the price. It's a very good value.

10. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Basically for the all around quality of picture, so I guess yeah more around the better colors and speed is what im looking for. I mean I would like bigger, but not 100% necessary.

11. GoodBytes

Here are some suggestions (obviously the more expensive ones are better. All models suggested will provide great value for what you are getting).

-> LG IPS235T-BN (eIPS, 6-bit panel, LED backlight)
    -> LG IPS231P (eIPS, 6-bit panel, LED backlight)
    -> Dell U2312HM (eIPS, 6-bit panel, LED backlight)
    -> Dell U2412M (eIPS, 6-bit panel, LED backlight)
    -> Dell U2713HM (AH-IPS, 8-bit panel, LED backlight)
    -> Dell U2410 (H-IPS, 8-bit panel, High Grade CCFL backlight)
    -> Dell U2711 (H-IPS, 8-bit panel, High Grade CCFL backlight)

All the above monitors are popular on this forum, except the U2713HM, as its new... it will take time before seeing if it's popular or not on this forum.

Any of these should be better than what you have now. Of course, as mentioned, the more you pay, the better the monitor (better colors, higher resolution, less back light bleeding, higher build quality)

It is to be noted that the excellent U2410, and U2711 will be discounted sometime next year (no date given by Dell), in favor of lower end, cheaper models. (I guess sales are low for these high end consumer models). So if you want something similar later on, it will be some ASUS monitor (assuming they fix their production problems by then.. so far it doesn't seam like it), or entry level professional grade monitor.. so you are looking at about 1000$ for something similar, where you mostly pay for the name, than anything else. I am still at the look out for an alternative.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2012
  12. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I can vouch for this. Best monitor I have ever used. Wouldn't mind if the DPI was a bit higher though. The viewing angle is amazing and the colours look fantastic. Definitely consider it.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

For reference you can run 680s in SLI with an overclocked 3770k on a 500 watt psu, anandtech ran the numbers and its bearly 400watts used in gaming.

14. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Sorry to bring this back up, tbh I forgot about this thread I made D: But I ordered a EVGA Gtx 670 Cheesecake instead of any other choice. But I feel like my antec 550w flat out isn't enough:/ I just don't feel quite comfortable with it. Are you all sure it'll do just fine? Under full load?

As for the monitor, to expensive to up in resolution so i'll probably get a asus 27" at 1920x1080 later on in life. unless something happens to monitor prices.

Thanks ahead of time guys!

15. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I think your cheesecake will run fine. I have the PSU in one of my PCs, running an i5 Quad and a decent GPU. No troubles. I'd go with it.

16. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Few things here, is it this PSU running in that PC of yours? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&Tpk=antec bp550

Also sense you said "in one of my PCs" I have to ask is it the one in your specs with the 6950? If so then I should be alright if its same PSU and GPU as in your specs. Being that the 6950 eats more power then the 670 I believe

17. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi, yes it is that PSU. I'm afraid it is not the same PC as the one in my specs. I'm actually not sure of the model of the GPU, it's been discontinued and was kinda rare. It is running a new ivy bridge i5 and 8GB of 1600mhz RAM. I've played Crysis on it for a couple of hours with no issues. I can't foresee any problems. Any doubts, just ask one of the other guys.

I know a lot of people go over kill on power supplies. I did, but with the intention of future upgrades to GPU and CPU. In its current state, a 600W PSU should be sufficient for me.

Find the max load voltage of the key components and see what it adds up to. You might be surprised.

18. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Yeah I used a few websites and put in my specs to see the wattage psu i'd need. And it came up with like 368watts. It made absolutely no sense to me, and i'm still ehh i think I need a new PSU.

Considering it says 500watts MINIMAL what do you guys think of the Corsair hx750? I may upgrade to that.

19. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Is there a problem? Doesn't it work?

The rig in my sig pulls around 330W from the wall on full load, and the 4870 is a 225W beast (dual 6-pin connectors).