1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Now Married, Time for Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by veryevil, 16 Aug 2014.

1. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey, been saving for a couple of years to make an honest woman of my other half so I'm still on a Core 2 Quad DDR2 system in signature.

Now thats taken care of over the next few months I should have some spare cash and I'm looking to replace the Holy Trinity (Mobo, Proc, Ram)

I've also been out of the game during this time as if I looked I would have wanted!

I've started my research and it looks like with Broadwell on the horizon I should get a Haswell + 1150 socket motherboard but using a series 9 chipset i.e. H97 or Z97 so that it can be BIOS upgraded later when released.

Does this seem about right? Anything else I should know? Is this a waste as DDR4 is said to be coming with Broadwell so even H97 and Z97 boards wont support them?

This week I did make my first purchase which was to replace my 9 year old Lian Li V1000b case which was bent and scratched after years of abuse and uni. So I know have a Corsair Carbide Air 540 and I'm loving it!

Thanks

Last edited: 17 Aug 2014
  2. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

EDIT: Congrats on the marriage!.. :thumb:

Unless you're thinking of jumping on to the upcoming X99 Intel chipset or if rumours are right the upcoming Toronto APUs / CPUs from AMD then I think DDR4 would be pretty pointless!..

Prices are gonna be initially high as with any new form technology, performance gains is gonna be very minimal compared to current high end / high speed DDR3, & it'll probably be quite awhile ( like 2015 ) for DDR4 to become mainstream... The only upside is the power draw needed of which is only 1.2v compared to today's current 1.5v DDR3 standard...

If you can afford to upgrade now / soon, Z97 ( H97 if your on a budget and not high overclocking ) is probably a good way to start for what ever you will be using your system, be that gaming or the usual day to day tasks or both...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

3. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Thanks!

I'm not looking for overclocking. I want silent air and reliable gaming machine. I've done water and overclocking before and all I ended up with was more hassle and more cost for cooling which I feel would be better spent on better components in the first place! Ha ha

4. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Even if you don't start off water cooling, that Corsair Carbide Air 540 will definitely give you that opportunity to go water cooling in the future as it has that potential to do so...

I've personally haven't had the privilege of going custom water cooling and probably never will!.. :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5. Predalien

Predalien What's a Dremel?

That's the spirit! I'm after exactly the same and I'll start building by the end of the year. I hope.

Z97 seems to be the right choice, and given how the actual generation behaves I believe the most important part is going to be the graphics card. The performance gained with the new processors won't be that much (that's just my humble prediction) so the 1150 and Z97 looks like a great base for the system.

We may be building a similar system. I'm adding to your needs a couple more: almost no cables and the minimum number of components as possible. I tell you this because you might be interested in looking at the new M2 SSD drives and the motherboards with integrated ports for them.

Keep sharing your story later!

6. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Nice looking board.

MSI though :p