1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Mass Effect user continuity across the trilogy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Porkins' Wingman, 9 Jan 2015.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

How much would I be missing out on if I were to forego the Mass Effect feature of taking user data from one instalment to the next?

Argos are doing a good price for Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U and I'd like to get it, the one thing holding me back is I know the PC version uses 'choices' made by the user in the previous instalment to affect some stuff in the next. Wii U can't do this because ME1 & ME2 have not had Wii U versions released.

I have ME1 on Steam but still haven't played it yet. I still intend to play 1 & 2 before 3, but just wonder if the user continuity is worth having or just a gimic.

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

ME4 will have a new protagonist and quite likely to draw on the Dragon Age Keep design of having big game decisions changeable via a cloud based personal world state if it follows on chronologically from ME3.

It'd be worth you acquainting yourself with the ME universe, but I think this having a save game will affect much.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Thanks for your input, but depending on grammar/typos, I'm not sure how to interpret this line.

4. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I was really wound up in all of the decisions from ME1 and 2, but I don't recall them making significant differences in ME3.

I guess if in your game one of the key characters died, and you didn't want them to appear in ME3, that would be an issue but it seems a bit unlikely.

For most of the "Choose A or choose B" choices in ME2, I remember ME3 used to say something like "well, actually you tried B, but it didn't work, so A is what happened anyway". I think there were just too many potentially divergent storylines to really cope with the changes and represent them all in ME3, so they abandoned many of the choices.

TLDR: I don't think it will actually make much difference, unless you want certain characters not to appear.

You can read about all of the variables here (inevitably with big spoilers): http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer

I think Tangster's point was that you probably won't need a savegame from ME3 to enjoy ME4, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2015
  5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

ME3 for Wii U apparently has DLC in the form of an interactive comic that lets you choose what happened WRT previous games. At least for some events.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect:_Genesis_2 - again spoilers

I don't know if the Wii U comes with any other DLC, but I'm pretty sure I've seen ME3 for PC at £3, definitely £5.

Edit: £5.08 on G2A

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

To an extent it's a gimmick, although if you don't play 1 and 2 the best endings of 3 are impossible from the moment you boot up.

There are hundreds if not thousands of cool little easter eggs and asides in 2 and 3 that make it worth playing in order.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it personally, it makes a few character differences but the game play is largely identical.

8. Porkins' Wingman

Thanks for all the input.

The Wii U version seems well liked due to having the map always available etc., and off-screen play is always a big plus for me, so I guess I'll pick up the Wii U version and look out for the PC version in a sale some time.

One would hope that that only applies to the PC version and that they've found a way to incorporate all of the endings into the Wii U version.

I started playing ME1 this evening and seemed to get on with it better than I did on my first look at it back whenever it was when I first bought it. Looking forward to a new epic trilogy in my life. Though how I'm going to keep at it with all my awesome Wii U games distracting me I don't know.