1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Commodore USA announces the Amiga Mini

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Mac Mini anyone?

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

That case is quite literally enough to put me off ever buying one...

4. decosse

decosse What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, thought this case looked a little familiar:

http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-chassis/

So, take someone else's product, whack a vintage name on it and charge a fortune.........wow, ground breaking! >.<

Nothing cheaper or worse in my mind of companies that do this......

5. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

My B2000 is still running fine....

dunx

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

If there was no connection to the well remembered Amiga of old (and the link is tenuous at best), would we even be interested?

It's just another box...

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Why would you use an i7 2700K and 16gB of RAM to run classic Amiga software?

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Non story.

9. decosse

decosse What's a Dremel?

Its not just another box, its actually a re-branded case from another company called 'Streacom'

I can't put the link up as thats not allowed, but seriously, google it! All they have done is add a commodore and amiga badge to it o_O

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i was thinking the same thing. hell 8GB would be a lot. i didn't even know amiga was still a company - i thought the OS was just for enthusiasts. personally i'd rather have a slower i7 and less ram and a more powerful gpu. actually, i wasn't even aware that there was any nvidia support for amiga at all.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

They aren't still a company. Commodore USA have bought a licence to use the name Amiga.

I assume you haven't done a great deal of emulating. Emulators are massively CPU intensive. Faster CPU > Faster GPU in the emulation world.

There isn't any nvidia support for the Amiga. It's running an emulator.

Did you even READ the article?

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

lol actually no, i didn't really read it much. i just skimmed thru it, so i guess i deserved that haha. but as far as i'm aware, amiga isn't a very demanding OS. i have done emulation/virtualization, i've virtualized stuff like vista with stats worse than 1/4 of the Amiga Mini. as long as the emulator and the cpu support virtualization instruction sets and you're generally only doing 1 VM at a time, you don't tend to need a very powerful cpu, especially on an OS like this.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So, you plan to use VT-x to virtualize Moto 68xxx CPU? Good luck :D

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I liked the Amiga 1000x design they had before that they never made... I guess it never will be, looked like it would have been a very nice htpc case. This I do not care for. Also why do they price their products so high, then wonder why no one is buying them?

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

does it boot into an emulated amiga dos? If not it's just a PC with Amiga name which is of course pointless.

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Virtualising an OS using the same instruction set (e.g. x86) as the host OS is very different to emulating a different instruction set. Very, very different :p

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

CGI Rendered piece of tat! Look at the design!! The fan holes!!! The badly positioned 'company' name!!!

The GPU spec!!!!

The price!!!!!

The skinned linux OS!!!!!!

Damn I think I just broke my exclamation mark...

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

As a general statement on emulation, this is fine.

For emulation of the Amiga, what a load of BS.
    Show me any case where you need a i7-2700K/Z68/16GB RAM/GT430 system to run an Amiga emulator (one where you aren't running dozens of instances simultaneously).

You can run a single instance of an Amiga emulator just fine on an Atom/945/Integrated GPU (in my instance it was an dual-core Atom 330), and I used to run an emulator way back on a Duron 700MHz/KT266/128MB RAM/ and...I want to say TNT2, but I can't be certain now.

Of course, it shouldn't need to be said amongst us enthusiasts, but if you are playing your Amiga games or whatever on an emulator you are just weak. Man up (in a ladylike manner if female) and buy yourself an A500! Preferably with a 1MB RAM upgrade, and an external FDD for fewer floppy swapping.

More problematic might be the Commodore 1084S monitor, so most Commodore monitors from the period are acceptable. Output to a TV through an RF modulator is not, so hand back your Amiga Enthusiast membership card if this is your plan. If you wish to show just how hardcore you are, output via a period multisync monitor is a good way to go (NEC is my brand of choice, naturally) especially if you are going to the A1200 later.

If you are a money-bags and like to strut around like a Massive Cock (of the avian kind), then a HDD attachment is de rigueur (extra street cred if it is the official A590, if only for the balls to actually run it. Respect).

Once you have done this, we can discuss you stepping up to an A1200, and then if you wish to rid yourself completely of sanity and outside relationships, the A3000 calls its siren cry!

Tribble likes this.
  19. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

That's precisely what it was supposed to be.

That was my point entirely. You don't NEED that kind of hardware spec, which is why debating "I'd rather have a better GPU etc" is redundant.

Indeed I did. A1200, NEC Monitor, Internal HDD, Squirrel/CD-ROM, Blizzard 040, Compact Flash.

Never made it to the A3000, mind...PCs got in the way of that :p

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I still have an A2000 in a box somewhere. I don't use it, but I can't bring myself to part with it.

Meanwhile my dual Opteron runs an Amiga emulator just fine. Just for Mindwalker. :rock:

Tags: Add Tags