1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kontron KTT30 packs a Tegra 3 into an mITX case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I wish one of these companies would be smart enough to put 6-8 sata ports on the board. These would be absolutely perfect for file servers, they are really missing a huge section of the market for these type of boards.

3. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

So, can this run Windows 8 RT or whatever it's going to be called? That could make it quite useful....

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

And be prepared to pay out your backside for the board. Kontron stuff is expensive if you aren't buying by the 100s/1000s and value adding by building a commercial product out of it.
    Kontron boards aren't for enthusiasts, and are not DIY friendly. A Raspberry Pi alternative it isn't.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

To my knowledge, you wont be able to buy Windows 8 RT

6. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

For the love of god, no. It's been splashed everywhere that there will not be a retail release of WinRT. It's OEM-only, and will only run on certain ARM processors. Some secret sauce behind the scenes means it will only run on those processors blessed by MS, in OEM devices.

Sorry to be a bit of an ass about it, but it's been the same every single time another Pi-alike is announced - someone in the comments asking "will it run WinRT?" when one of the very first things announced about it was that there would be no retail release and it would only run on the devices allowed by MS. Sadly, think of it like iOS. Not to say you shouldn't set about fixing that so arbitrary ARM processors will run it, if you've got those sorts of skills (god knows I don't.) You'd make a whole lot of Windows fans happy (until MS sued you until you were dead, at least.)

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's the ARM-specific "but will it run Crysis?" :p

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This. Fileserver is what I think of every time I see one of these little boards. You could have a full NAS box with GBe in the space and power consumption of a USB external drive.

Tags: Add Tags