1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS nearly destroyed FASA and Bungie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Westwood, and more recently Stormregion come to my mind. But there are many examples in this industry, sadly.

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Makes you wish FASA had never been bought by MS in the first place really. Who knows what games they might have brought out otherwise?

4. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Bullfrog too.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nearly? id say they did a pretty good job of destroying them through corperate greed,

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Pretty much any developer acquired by a big publisher loses what it once had. Although I do still like what Rare are doing.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

So MS bought the company and then closed it down so no other systems could have games from those IPs?

8. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Westwood, Black Isle Studios, DICE, 3DRealms, FASA (too many to list) are all companies that went to **** when bought up or failed in contracts.

I loved the first 3 Mechwarrior games. Then MS came and it wrecked a good series. They need to get back on track with the novels and restart the series.

@Talladega: EA's well known for buying up IPs and not producing games. They're locking out the market and letting classics die.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh yeah, Bullfrog : (

10. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Origin went completely downhill when it got bought too, from being one of the biggest, most successful developers to a practically unheard of outfit putting out crappy Ultima Online addons.

11. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

"Have you ever seen your company ruined by a ham-handed buy-out,"

No, we are the ham-handed buy out company... :)

Actually it isn't quite that simple. We're merging many of our sister companies into us, but this is all at the direction of our parent company (which one way or another owns all of us) so in this case we're just the middleman. As we incorporate them into us, they will be required to follow the corporate standards which many don't like. All along they were required to do so but most got away with ignoring that directive for a number of years.

So, for the rest of the year we get to make life miserable for a bunch of other people all because their upper management wasn't willing to make the necessary changes years ago when they should have. On the other hand, if we weren't going in and taking them over, with the economic hit they took, I think they would be shutting their doors instead.

I'm certainly not defending MS here and I think that with any merger or acquisition, you have to openly evaluate the differing processes and adopt the one that makes the most sense even if means you change instead of them changing.

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Some specifics would be nice.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Not you, TGI. I mean Weisman.

14. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

what MechWarrior game is that image from?

15. AWowzer

AWowzer What's a Dremel?

biggest ever tragedy was the destuction of Origin by EA. their technology was always years ahead of everyone else. they always pushed hardware to its limits, achieving what people never thought would be possible.

will never forget in 1994, origin coming out with wing commander 3, the first game that felt like you were in an interactive film where your actions determined what happened. the graphics engine, the game and film production value. would love to see what they would have produced on current gen hardware.

its weird how sony's and nintendo's first party studios are keeping their consoles from being a failure whereas the 360's success has been driven mainly by 3rd party. if microsoft could back that up with more successful 1st party studios without ruining them they would be streets ahead

16. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Way to go microshaft with your "we've got lots of money we can do whatever the (insert choice explative) we want to"
    Little guy? what little guy? :p

17. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Yeah i remember Origin and Wing Commander 3...it needed 6 or 8 megs of ram....and i remember my PC only had 4...was truly gutted.

Im a bit perplexed at large studio buyouts. Surely the reason for buying a dev studio is because there profitable or the games they make show promise. They they go in and break a thing that is working by making the studios do things there way. Why not leave them alone, and once in a while send someone along to make sure they are not going compleatly batshit crazy.

18. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

... one word Management... There is always a guy responsible for the 'Streamline Integration' of the new dev's in the company, (who can't do what they do) but has to justify his existance/fat paycheck to his boss.
    Because he's Management it's all about the promotion for him, so he does what he knows best... buzzwords, mission statements, cost analysis and all that....
    Guess how many Dev's give two hoots about Mission Statements?

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

The list is long, which is why i get so peeved when people whine about the fine dev companies like Blizzard, Valve and iD that are still around and doing quite well

20. sear

sear Guest

Remember, kids. Whenever you think someone important cares about you, your company or your intellectual property, you're wrong.

Tags: Add Tags