1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking GTX 470 and how far to push it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 1 Dec 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Need a bit of advice/direction please guys.

Just got a new shiny GTX 470 courtesy of DaTLiTe :thumb: After having a mess with it for about 30 minutes early this morning I'm wondering how far to push the overclock for everyday use. By everyday use I mean it'll be overclocked when I game which is about 2-3 hours a day. The rest of the time it will run at stock. (The fiancee's facebook habits don't really warrant me pushing the card lol).

I bumped the core voltage to 1000mV because it's a nice round number :D It was a 13mV increase in case you didn't know.

On this it's stable at 750/1500/1750 with a temperature of 68C after running FurMark for 10 minutes.

Just wondering how much further you guys would push it and what a maximum safe(ish) voltage and temperature would be?

Thanks

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

GTX470s are (or should be) amazing overclockers - it's one thing I miss about mine!!

I pushed mine all the way to 1087mV (with good cooling, mind you) and the best clocks I got were 865/1730/1924. If I bumped the memory just one notch it would fail a 3D bench, but with these clocks it would sail through anything including Heaven (extreme) and any Futuremark test.

I generally don't OC video memory because it's a waste of effort; core/shader are the clocks that count, and if you are going to overvolt for stability, use the extra juice for core/shader!

For a daily OC I'd recommend going as high as you can on stock volts - you might be surprised how high you get. I only ever used 1087mV for benching... for everyday use, I was at 987mV and stock clocks.

Don't see 1087mV causing any damage other than that it might make your temps unnecessarily high; and for temps I'd say up to 90C would be my threshold, even though the GPU can take it easily. My 470 topped out at 80C, but as I say I had very good cooling (120x120x38 fan). :thumb:

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011