1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling URGENT WATER COOLING HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam12301, 9 Feb 2012.

1. sam12301

sam12301 What's a Dremel?

Hi i really really need help. im doing my first watercooling loop and iv got all the compression fittings fitted on the rad and the cpu block, on my pump it has barbed fittings so iv just put some clamps over them but on my rez iv got the phobia balancer 250 and iv put my compression fittings on it and screwed them finger tight but when i put my fluid in i get a small dripping leak from them and i cant solve them problem. i had 2 spare fittings so i even swapped them and tried the 2 spares and it still leaks. any help please

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Have you tried putting some PTFE tape around the threads then tightening them gently with a spanner?

3. sam12301

i dont wanna go too tight but should i use some pliers instead of a spanner i dont have a spanner

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The compression nut should be tightened LIGHTLY with a spanner. I mean the thread with the black o-ring. Tightening too much can damage or squish out the o-ring. Finger tight is not enough.

A little PTFE tape can help as saspro said.

5. sam12301

100% definatly should be tightened more than finger tight? if so should i wrap some tissue around and tighten with plliers?

6. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

That would do the trick yeah, my screw fittings also leaked on my pump, when I tightend them with my tool it stopped leaking. Like the rest said, don't tighten it to hard.

7. sam12301

i dont understand why non of my other fittings leak though and they are only finger tight?

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

This is a known problem with the Phobya res see here which crops up every couple of months, PTFE tape might work, but personally I wouldn't trust it (and it'll leach all through your system and leave a horrid residue everywhere)

I'd just dump the res and get one that's actually been designed rather than roughly (and incorrectly) coppied - Sorry I can't be more help than that.

9. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

It can be allot of different causes, my fittings are all barbed, I tightend them all finger tight except my L shaped fittings on my pump, they leaked then.

If you need to tighten your fittings it won't mean they are bad or broken.
    It all comes down to luck I guess.

10. sam12301

hmm asura thanks for linking me to that, my rez is a phyobia 250 rez and my fittings are phyobia aswell and iv got the exact same problem as that guy has. do you think a bigger O ring would work?

11. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

think i'll stay clear of phobya which is a shame as they have some nice rads

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The rule is that for barbs you should wrap PTFE around the barb a number of times, push tube on and use jubilee clip. Compression rings should be tightened with fingers... The threaded part that screws into the block or pump should be tightened lightly with pliers. You need to compress the rubber o-ring and you can't do that with fingers. You apply a little force to tighten it with pliers.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

*facepalm.*

Never use PTFE tape on parallel pipe fittings (G1/4.) They are not designed for it, and most will leak if you use it. NEVER tighten any fitting with a tool. They are not intended to go more than finger tight. That is why they have an o-ring. If it won't seal at finger tight, you have a faulty part. Like that Phobya res.

feathers, why is it whenever you give advice someone has to come behind you and unobfuscate the target of your advice? You seem to consistently give poor advice. I would recommend reading more. These topics have been covered multiple times over the years, and the advice you gave was only really valid back when we were using cross-drilled blocks on slot processors. Times have changed.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have been liquid cooling since 2004. Peltier cooling. Finger tightening a NUT is about as retarded as u can get.

For anyone else who is tempted by kayinblack's misinformation... A G1/14 fitting has a hex nut which is kind of like the nut your daddy tightens in his workshop. There is a reason for this nut, finger tight doesn't compress the o-ring and it can work loose and leak VERY easily.

There are 2 ways you can tighten the G1/14 fitting... either by twisting the entire tube (so long as it is very tight) which also turns the nut and compresses the ring, or use a small spanner and apply light pressure. You're aiming to turn just a little more than you would with fingers. I don't recommend anyone tighten the nut with fingers alone unless they have metal fingers and lift weights 7 days per week.

The upper part of the compression fitting is designed to be turned and tightened with fingers. Over-tightening can make that part a real pain to loosen later. The threaded part at the bottom is a nut and should be turned lightly with pliers. End of.

As I said, watercooling since 2004. Used to chill below zero... Used compression fittings and barbs so have plenty of experience.

Oh and you should use PTFE tape on barbs... not too much and not winding it close to the top of the nozzle so it risks blocking it.

The very short thread at the lower end of G1/14 (the nut) does not need PTFE so long as the O-ring is present. There is high risk of PTFE blocking the nozzle there.

15. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

yea feather seems to know his stuff, i mean come on he's 5ghz on cpu *high 5's*

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

He tells everyone to watercool and how he wants to run a loop from the ceiling and keep fish in it...

I may be lying about the last bit

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Problem is with the G1/14 when u tighten it with fingers it tends to twist itself loose when you're fitting or moving the tubing. The nut should always be lightly tightened with pliers in order to prevent the fitting loosening if the tube is moved. Also the o-ring isn't sufficiently compressed by finger tightening.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

feathers, if you've been doing it since 2004 I have a few good years on you then.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1286&page=2

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?252976-compression-fitting-too-tight

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?278573-Monsoon-Free-Center-Compression-Fittings

But if you're so sure you're right, ask Geno there if he recommends his fittings be tightened like that. Your advice will have people cutting tubes and damaging compressions, as well as possibly destroying anything they're screwed into. I've seen the damage many times. But just keep on, I'm sure when OP damages something you'll be nowhere to be found.

It's evident that you've not learned anything over the years. Stop giving advice. In no circumstances have I seen you recommend something correct. Leave it to those of us that know what we're doing.

20. sam12301

ok well thanks for all the tips guys, iv managed to solve my leak by putting a bigger thicker O ring on to make a seal and now it isnt leaking at all. but i now have another problem, iv wired everything up and it wont boot up. iv got the ASUS Maximums extreme z68 board and when i plug the power supply in the lights on the board light up but when i click start it wont any ideas?