1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Janus team launches "Privacy Adaptor"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Clever, but kind of pointless. As far as I can see, the only people who need to encrypt their traffic are either (a) doing something illegal, in which case we really shouldn't be encouraging the use of devices that make it easier (and in any case my understanding is that TOR is so slow you wouldn't want to use it for e.g. file sharing), or (b) working in an environment (e.g. secret service, military, etc.) which will already have strong encryption protocols in place. Anyway, can't you just use a software proxy to route traffic over TOR?

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

There's a third type of person you didn't list.
    They type of person who objects to ISP sniffing their traffic for monetary gain without explicit permission ala Phorm et al.
    This would defeat that.

I think its a great idea tbh.
    Those people doing illegal things will do it anyway and usually be paranoid enough to cover their tracks anyway.

4. Skepsis

Skepsis What's a Dremel?

Quick, to the pedo cave!

5. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Well, here in Eastern Europe there is no net monitoring at all (our law prohibits such actions) so it's not our problem. When i look at what is happening in UK it seems ridiculous for me.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

pedobear approves this device...

7. <Blake>

<Blake> What's a Dremel?

the fourth type of person is someone who dosn't like governments filtering their internet, such as Saudi Arabia, china, and soon to be Australia (where you can get a free internet filter that is opt-in, and only 2% of the pop got it... so the government thinks everyone wants it).

8. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Why does anyone expect their surfing habits to be private?? Would you avoid shopping on the highstreet or going to the library unless you were somehow invisible?

I dont understand this whole kneejerk privacy thing at all.

9. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

@Zut
    Maybe do some reading. Would you like to go shopping on the highstreet with someone following you and writing down everything you bought/showed interest in and than send you a ton of ads about similar things? Thats exactly what companies like Phorm are doing. And it's not just ads - some companies use this data to change the price accordingly - when they know that you are buying lots of the same stuff (take expensive coffee for example) they can give you a "special" price - and it's not "bad sci-fi", one of the online PC shops did this to me - one day I noticed that the prices of some stuff I bought lots of are a little higher when I log in than than when not logged in.

And the other thing - would you like it if some day your job application would get thrown away because your potential boss got a report from a tracking company saying that you have an interest in young redheads? Or because of something you said on a political forum a few years ago?

Would you like someone to watch what movies you like, what books you read (if any), what kind of girls you like, what are the names of your family members, what you buy, what is your financial status, credit rating and so on? Bet you wouldn't like that one bit, but guess what, that's exactly the data marketing companies gather online.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2008
  10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

We should all have some sense of privacy. Its ******** that we keep getting our rights taken away. Besides, no one has the resources to track all online traffic. If you do dumb sh*t, you should be watched, else leave the rest of us average users alone.

11. Huxen5

Huxen5 What's a Dremel?

Well put, n3mo! The government wants it because, after all, knowledge is power and if its recorded by someone the government can essentially force them to hand the information over citing anti-terrorism crap.

*smash* "AAAGH!" *crash* *bang*.... "HELP...", *mumbled words and crying*

...Uhh...I formally retract my statement...I was confused about the topic and introduced a false conversational element, which...uhh...i firmly..uhh...disagree with.Completely...because everything is totally great...*gulp*

Hello Echelon! How's the coffee?

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

if governmental types wish to know my pron browsing habits they only need ask I am happy to recommend my favourite sites ....

Tags: Add Tags