1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell's XPS Gaming brand to disappear this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Well, it makes sense from a company perspective... but the end result will be that gaming PCs from dell will all cater to the "zomg alienz! kewl!!!11One" crowd... I much prefer the XPS design style than the over the top Alienware one...

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

And the price of the XPS boxes was always a bit easier to swallow.

Oh well, it's not like most of us were going to buy either, anyway..

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Ive never bought an XPS or Alienware desktop PC as I build my own, but I know someone who has bought an XPS gaming rig... and whilst I considered it expensive, it is decent in spec, and has been reliable. I also quite like the look of them.

I do not like their use of proprietary components though in some aspects.

People often attack Dell for quality issues etc, but they also do some good stuff... the PC market would be a worse place without them ! I see the Dell Studio XPS 16" line won awards in this month's latest PC PRO... and they claimed the screen was one of the best they had seen... so its not all dodgy !

Ive always considered Alienware stuff to be a bit too much over priced though...more so than the XPS range.

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

no loss in my opinion and a good move though if the choice was between alienware and dell i'd go with the XPS

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

thats funny Dell bought Alienware to make their XPS systems better and so on but they made Alienware constrained to their low quality building practices so of course nothing improved and both companies got pulled down, ehh but as others have mentioned no loss at all.

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Always preferred the styling of the XPS branded stuff, which was a lot better value for money (even if it was still far more expensive than building your own).

8. Abbo

Abbo ATi or Nvidia?

Have to agree, prefer the look of the XPS over Alienware.

Are they thinking of replacing it with the Alienware, or will they bring out another model?

9. regnez

regnez What's a Dremel?

False. I got my parents an XPS One (the 20" one) from the Dell Outlet about a year ago for ~$550, which is outstanding value, particularly for an AiO.

Sure, the outrageously high-end gaming desktops are overpriced, but lately Dell has been branching out its XPS line to include all sorts of high-quality, award-winning notebooks aimed squarely at the mid-range market. Also, it doesn't hurt that most XPS computers come with a three year, on-site warranty as standard.

The XPS line was not for everybody, but no computer is, and I'd be disappointed to see it go.

10. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

The streamlining thing definitely makes business sense, of course.

But according to my personal taste, they are getting rid of the wrong gaming brand.

XPS styling is much nicer and minimal than Alienware desktops. XPS cases are also much better for air cooling efficiency than the 'front closed door' Alienware style.

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i don't think they are dropping the xps line, just the gaming xps line

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

makes sense, the alienware brand has well been tied up to gaming desktops (and laptops) for I can remember, makes no sense why a single company would have 2 different Brands for gaming rigs even though the XPS gaming brand has been catching on quite well. :)

Tags: Add Tags