1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Modern Art

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TheGreatSatan, 21 Mar 2014.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

[​IMG]

I've been thinking about this level of custom PC for years. I've put it off for a long time because I knew I didn't have the tools necessary to cut the amount of metal I would need. That has changed recently when I found a very reliable guy with a waterjet machine at RCCwaterjet.com

This time I needed one dozen 15 inch square "frames" with a two inch border all the way around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then picked up 48 one inch steel spacers

[​IMG]

And four drawer pulls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides the dozen frames, I got one complete square for the base

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 9-year old daughter has been wanting to help for a long time, and this seems like the best project to give her

[​IMG]

I had her feed the threaded rods through the base and into the drawer pulls

[​IMG]

Then we starting sliding each frame down followed by four spacers, and then another frame, over and over

[​IMG]

Till we ran out of frames

[​IMG]

Then I cut off the excess threading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the outside is done

[​IMG]

2. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Nice idea but is it stable with just 4 bolts ? I guess it is shaking almost freely now...

3. TheGreatSatan

Actually yeah. I was worried about stability, but it doesn't even budge when lifted

4. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

Threaded rod like that gains quite a lot of stability with each layer you add in. Usually 3 layers will make a surprisingly rigid structure. With 15 . . . I don't think it's going anywhere :) I have a table/computer case here that I made with 1/4" rod and 3 wooden plates, and I could jump on the thing without it budging.

Looking like a really interesting build, can't wait to see where you go with this.

5. TheGreatSatan

Sorry. I ordered two way mirror for the middle section and it'll be here soon