1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry 4 pirates outed by FoV patch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

And thus, as always, DRM and other "let's try and screw with people who didn't buy the game" techniques invariable end up screwing with paying customers. Meanwhile, pirated copies quickly patch out the inconveniences.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Gotta love Croteam :D

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

:hehe:

Wasn't there a Batman game that caused those with a pirated copy to out themselves in a "ZOMFG mi Batmans won't fli!!!!" style. :D

5. Scroome

Scroome Modder

"Hahaha. Take that, you pirates!"

"In the meantime, let's keep on forgetting about all those people who paid a lot of money for Watchdogs and are waiting for the game to be fixed"

Ah. Good times.....

6. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

what about the few people that do not have internet and bought the game disc and cant get the day 1 patch, they never pirated and asked on forums from the mobile yes.

bit-tech seems to be the only place where this has been mentioned.

i do not think day 1 downloads so to get the full game you paid for should be allowed for disc bought games, they can do that with download copies, we all think people without internet amounts to little, but there is a big market that still do not have internet and even more that have dial up.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Screw over a portion of your paying customers in order to mess with pirates who will probably see it as more of a challenge than a real problem and adapt almost immediately.

Yep, sounds like DRM to me.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Proportionally, how many people who legitimately buy these games are affected?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I was going to say the same thing. Hutchinson is kind of an idiot, acting all proud of his piracy-detection when really the pirates WILL get the last laugh. I'm not endorsing pirating this game, but when you have an attitude like this, you'll get people to screw you over out of spite.

What I really don't understand though is for games with a slightly more reliable way of detecting piracy, why don't they just simply prevent you from playing the game?

Anyway, Ubisoft would likely get their products less pirated if they made their games more worth buying, and, if they actually used some of their income toward researching a better form of anti-piracy.

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

No doubt the pirated version will be "patched" quicker than Ubisoft fix all the other crap going on with their games at the moment....

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Because preventing people from playing is easy to detect and circumvent, if on the other hand you introduce an intentional flaw the pirates may not have the time, or notice it.

Is the lack of FOV adjustment a big thing anyhow, is the default FOV really low ? I'm a bit surprised anyone noticed it didn't have a FOV adjustment, not all games do.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yea, and I'm sure that devs find trolling pirates bloody good fun. :D

If I was a dev on the Batman game and saw the "MI BATMANS WONT FLI!!!!" rage, I think I'd have collapsed from laughing.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I aim to please.

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It's to be noted that Game Dev Tycoon's Dev released a totally separate cracked and comically nerfed version of the game onto a torrent site as a honey trap.

They did not deliberately cripple the actual release unless you downloaded a day one patch.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Proportionally, more than have pirated it I suspect.

16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I highly doubt that.

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

To quote Star Wars:

''The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers ''.

Personally I don't think publishers/devs haven't done themselves any favours over the years. I remember when big titles used to release a playable demo as freebies on magazine CDs. This gave you a 'try before you buy' option. Games don't seem to have a demo any more and if they do they are so pre release that they are totally broken and don't represent the final game at all.
    Many people pirate as a form of trying the game out before laying out £30+ for a game that they just won't like and won't play. It's all very well that Steam has 'open weekends' but for many this is no good as they are busy over the weekend.
    The problem with Ubisoft is that they are so arrogant and cocky about their stance on the subject, all while frequently being associated with some of the worst and most broken games out there which they seem totally disinterested in doing anything to fix them.

18. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a convenient bs excuse for a day 1 patch to me,

19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

God I hate Ubisoft. I got a copy of Watchdogs via a video card purchase promotion. Tried to install it. UPlay software required an update, no problem, but when completed, the software refused to connect. I kept getting BS that I wasn't online. Uninstalled UPlay, reinstalled it and got the same problem. I have a couple of other games that use UPlay that worked in the past so was scratching my head on why it refused to work for any game now. Turns out, both the update and the reinstall did not set folder permissions properly. No prompt asking for elevated permissions, just would not work without it. That was a pain in the ass to figure out. The Ubisoft website was utterly useless on trying to figure out what the problem was. Ended up coming across a steam forum thread that pointed me in the right direction.

20. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I don't see the point in say Haaa Haaa to pirates who wont care anyway. If it let them actually catch people and force them to pay a fine or something, I could understand it. But saying lulz caught you is meaningless. It's a minor inconvenience to pirates at best, and even that is for something they didn't pay for anyway. Big deal.

The Serious Sam idea sounded far better :)