1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Giving up your first car

Discussion in 'General' started by enterobsidian, 5 Nov 2012.

1. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

There is a distinct possibility that I'll be finally giving up my first car, my LR Discovery. Quite frankly, I'm almost devastated. She's been in the family since she was 9 months old, and now she's pushing 16 years. For the last 5 years she's stood beside me through thick and thin, and always brought me home. 156k miles are taking their toll, and it looks like this might be the end.:waah:

How hard was giving up your first car?

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im in the same boat however I've only had her for 4 years, 113k on the clock and whilst her engine is strong the rest of the body is showing signs.

I think next year might be her last but god damn its going to be hard :(

3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I heard you bro, I know the feeling. I sent my Pontiac to the scrap yard at 220k, she was with me for nearly 6 years. :-(

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There's no maintenance that can't be tackled with judicial applications of spannerwork at home. :D

Didn't have much choice with my first car - my Dad wrote it off in the first really snowy winter we had a few years ago. Gutted is the word!

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Very :waah: well giving it up wasn't so hard, but the telegraph pole I drove it through was bloody hard and made the decision for me :rock:

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I still miss my old Sierra, rear wheel drive sillyness...

7. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Yes - for me the decision was effectively made by someone else as well. My lovely Volvo 480 was 22 years old, had been clocked at least once (probably by the guy who sold it to me) and had only been in my care for 6 months but I loved her dearly. However, she failed her MOT quite spectacularly and then some scroat tried to break in by forcing the door open, so she was undrivable.

I cried the scrappers came along and hoisted her away. Sad day indeed.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My first car (a Rover Metro) served me well until a week after I passed my test, whereupon I found myself having to climb out of the driver's window vertically and tip it back onto all four wheels after an unexpected meeting with a hedgerow at 50mph.

I managed to drive it to a garage on the way to school the following day, only to be told that they couldn't believe I had just driven it 20 miles with the gearbox hanging off the bottom of the car!

I didn't miss it, like any young red blooded male I replaced it with a brand new black Saxo VTS in one of a string of ill-informed spending sprees - the fallout of which still haunt me in my 30th year :(

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I learnt driving in my family's Volvo 340, lovely car and had 150k on the clock. but due to lack of care, my Dad completely forgot to maintain it over the next 20k.

Finally, the car wouldn't start for a week. At the weekend, we saw a cheap Ford, we thought to give the Volvo a last try, it started and took us to buy the replacement car before finally dying around the corner from where we lived. :(

Found leaves in the choke valves, so it's definitely been killed by lack of maintenance. :( unfortunately it wasn't economical to disassemble the engine and repair it, so it was sold to the scrap yard. was emotional to see it get man handled by the scrap yard truck. :waah:

I'm currently driving the first car I that I own. a lovely Volvo S40. every year I service it, every year I make sure to replace the air filter. it's just gone over 100k, I'm hoping with care it can beat the family Volvo and reach 200k, and use it for 10 more years.

Volvo's are certainly something special in my mind. same with most people's first car I'd imagine.

10. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I thought I would struggle with my mini, but after seeing the extent of some of the bodgework (double panneled floors and sills...) I really was quite happy to see it go.

It helped that I stripped it down to recoup some money, that it didn't look like the car it once was....and that I'd taken the engine to be rebuilt as something more exciting for the new car I had just purchased and still own.

As for my current car, for all the things that go wrong with it, the amount of times I've found the battery flat and it won't start, I really struggle to think how I could ever part with it....

11. bagman

bagman Minimodder

I recently gave up my first car being a Audi A6 99' 2.5 TDI. Again been in the family for a very long time and had racked up 200K miles, it never skipped a beat. Now I am in a 2010 ford fiesta which is a lot more fun :).

Last edited: 5 Nov 2012
  12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Still got my first car, 7 years old 97K and still going. I do debate getting a new car bigger engine etc but never see the point :s

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Wasn't particularly hard for me. Switching from a 1.4 diesel Pug 206 to a 3 litre BMW 6 series couldn't have been easier. :p

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Except on the fuel bills ;) Unless you're rocking the diesel of course!

The sooner the rest of the world catches up with BMW on performance to economy on their diesel engines the better. 50mpg in a big car that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds is epic.

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

My first car was a K reg Nissan Micra, sold it to a mate who later turned up in with interior stripped and running a 1.6 Alerma engine in it, I was so proud lol

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

My first car was a Volvo 440, which has major steel cancer up under the rear end. So I parked it on my parents drive and ran like hell. Still there to this day.

I can't get rid of it, but it's too broken to drive...

It'll go one day to make room for my current Saab... lol!

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Their 2 liter diesel does 70MPG and 0-60 in 8 secs. Which again is very impressive. My mums Audi A6 2 liter TDI 07' can only dream about doing those figures.

18. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Moving from a Rover 216 with the dreaded "K series" engine should have been easy, but for some reason it was pretty hard. No matter how badly it went wrong it still limped on. Only car I have seen survive a cam belt snap without needing any engine work.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I went from a 1.6 focus to a 2.0 st170 >.>

It wasn't hard for me then, but depends how long the st stays with me I guess.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Get out phonebook -> Find local scrappy's number -> Profit.