1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD hints at high-performance Zen x86 architecture

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The text in the photo boxout says he is Rory Papermaster, not Rory Read. :)

I'd love to see AMD's CPUs back on terms with Intel, but don't you think we've kind of heard this before (apart from the admission of the failure of the last gen)?

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Deja Vu, isn't this what they said about Bulldozer when they were developing that?

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It's rumoured that they're switching from their CMT design back to traditional SMT design (like Intel) so it might make them more appealing to the Master Race of Bit-Techians :thumb:

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie - I'll go fix, ta!

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

First of all, what do you expect them to say? "Yeah, this is only a mild step up. Keep your stocks in Intel".

Second, the major difference here is they admitted to a problem. There was nothing wrong with the K10 architecture, it was just old and needed to retire.

I look forward to Zen, assuming it will actually be released before the 4-year mark. By the time it's released I'll be wanting to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't usually like getting the first generation of new architectures.

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

what AMD need to stop selling or restrict is the E (slower then intel atom cpus) type cpus from ending up in full size laptops and no bother with anything below a A8 CPU (below 2.5Ghz) as they are just plain slow

they could do with Stop calling bulldozer cpus as Quad (2M/4C) and 8 core (4M/8C) when they are not (when compared to a intel Quad core with HT) the extra half cores on the current line up on AMD is like CPU assist (more like HT), i was wanting to build an amd system mainly for the ECC support but i be buying a system that may be same speed or slower than my current system i am wanting to replace (i7-920)

low end / standard systems yes AMD all the way (as long as its clocked at 3Ghz or higher) as they are perfect for it

8. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Hmmmmm. Will my Phenom II x4 980 have the legs to last and will my Crosshair III survive another 2 years or so. Might whack a waterblock on it to ease its last year before retirement and I should see one hell of an upgrade if it all lasts.

9. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

"... went out and got Jim Keller, we went out and got Raja Koduri from Apple, Mark Papermaster, Lisa Su,' Read explained"

Jim Keller I get, but WTF do other three have to do with CPU design ? Paper-pusher provides (reasonably) stable work conditions, what do other two do ?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Well, since you asked... Raja Koduri is an engineer who's forgotten more about GPUs than you or I will ever know, and used to be chief technical officer of AMD's graphics division before Apple poached him to help build their in-house ARM chips. Now he's back at AMD as Corporate Vice President of Visual Computing - in other words, he's back doing graphics again. As for Lisa Su - sorry, Dr. Lisa Su - I probably can't put it much better than her corporate biography:
    Note also the work at Freescale and IBM. Finally, Mark Papermaster. He's a little more than the pencil-pusher you appear to have marked him down as. Again, let's turn to the executive biography:
    Does that answer your question? ;)

11. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

leexgx, I am in the same boat. I have an i7-920 as well and have been thinking about the switch to AMD, mostly because I can't afford the new i7 6 and 8 core CPUs. Looking at benchmark results from 3dmark, i7-290 is number 83 on the list where as FX-9590 is number 20. I'm still not sure it's worth going team red either, as this means there are 19 Intel CPUs that are faster, many of which are in the same price range as the AMD.

I am enjoying my A8-6400K I have in my Media Center / Steam Streaming client though, but at 3.9 Ghz it is still slower that my 2.66 Ghx i7-920. It's especially slower when I turn my overclock on at 3.4 Ghz!