1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V RCA to computer monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxman, 7 Jun 2006.

1. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I have been looking for a good way to hook up standard RCA from a VCR or gaming system into a computer monitor. I have been thinking of buying a tuner card but not wanting to go through the computer. You guys have any ideas

2. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

afaik going direct from a VCR or other video source to a monitor (CRT) is fairly impossible. You can find cheap cards that give you composite input.
    Sound will most likely need to be changed from RCA to 1/8" jack via a common converter cable.

I had my VCR hooked up this way into a capture card to record some old VHS onto my hdd but with some software it can also just display on your monitor.

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

This could work.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There are literally loads of variations on what ozstriker reccomends.

Check places like lik-sang for ones reccomended for gaming. I took a cheap option and iot was atrocious.

5. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Well, I stand corrected then.

Those are probably a better solution than a TV card even at about the same price.
    PC cards tend to have lag when used for game consoles.
    I completely forgot about these sort of aftermarket devices.

6. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

Ok so there are cards out there. I figured there was a way wo make a cable to do the job. But i think a wile and remember that VGA is a coaxial wire and hard to work with. Say I was just after TV on my monitor then the best way would just be a tuner card. any recomendations. I am on a fairly tight budget. Still after a solution to the first Q though. The sound I would take down to a 1/8" cable via a converter cable.