1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VIA announces APC 8750 Raspberry Pi competitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

It seems like a pretty decent device, and at $49 its not that much more than the Pi,comes with android,so its a bit more user friendly than the Pi, whether they can get it to the market quick enough is another story.

Raspberry Pi is still almost impossible to get, so this might make a dent in the market.

Lets just hope the community can get behind it and offer some good homebrew goodness over and above the android it allready has.

3. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

About the PSU.....

From what I have gathered, the RPi just uses a miniUSB port for its power.
    This uses 12V.

So, you might be able to plug it into your case with an extra 12V header.

I think I just found the board for the LCD in the side of my case.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

MicroUSB, and 5V - not 12V. If you plug 12V into the Raspberry Pi, you'll fry it - the components run at 3.3V or lower (with a 3.3V regulator on the incoming 5V feed.)

The Pi will run on any 5V power supply capable of feeding it 500mA on the unlikely-to-ever-be-released Model A or 700mA on the Model B. That's more than a PC's USB port can offer, even after negotiation - which the Pi doesn't do.

You could probably build a Molex-to-microUSB adapter and power it straight off the PC's PSU, though.

5. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Gareth, I think AmEv was suggesting running the VIA APC off of a 12v header - not the Pi.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah. I think you might be right, there. I read "This uses 12V" as a continuation of the "mini-USB" train of thought - as in "this [mini-USB connection] uses 12V."

Not sure why, really, as your interpretation makes a lot more sense!

7. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Not sure this comes close to the R-Pi - more expensive, twice the size and no 1080p!

8. Gareth Halfacree

More USBies, a VGA output, faster processor (although undoubtedly slower multimedia) and a sensible mounting system, tho'. (I still prefer the Pi, mind.)

9. AmEv

You're right. I didn't quite continue my train of thought.

Seroiously, though, this might make for a decent Linux box for an HTPC.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Now if they were only smart enough to have added 4x sata at that price... these things would be amazing if it had disk support.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

IIRC, this uses a quad-core CPU. A bit of a step up from RPi.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Nup - a single-core multimedia-centric ARMv6 part, just like the Pi, except 100MHz faster. This one, in fact.

13. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

It runs android..... :\

14. AmEv

...And you can put Ubuntu, Mint, RH, W8RT on it if you'd like

15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

They are working on a Unbuntu style OS for the Pi but to be honest the Pi is designed more with schools and learning involved with things like the GERT board on the way it can be used perfectly for small robotics projects. Plus its true aim was to get the UK coding again which is something many people myself included have lost.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Windows RT won't work - it's only for OEM use with a small number of partner companies' SoCs, and this ain't one of 'em. As for the others, they'll only work if VIA opens the bootloader - otherwise you're stuck with whatever version of Android they choose to give you (2.3 currently, with no mention of any planned upgrades.)

I'm waiting to hear back about the bootloader.
    There are already several "Ubuntu style" distros for the Pi - I used Debian in my review (on which Ubuntu is based) and there's also a Fedora Remix.

17. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

That's certainly one of the more interesting concoctions of marketing tripe that I've heard... can you imagine exploring the universe on a bike? It would take a long time... :D

So being slightly less negative, looks an interesting bit of kit but it's a shame if it's android exclusive and only capable of 720p -- I suppose if it's popular enough *nix hackers will break it so it can run custom distros.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Thats the term i was thinking of my minds gone to mush today with logistics planning. I have both on SD cards waiting to try on the Pi rather than emulate them.

Also not sure if im loosing the plot but im sure i saw something about windows 8 possibly having Arm support on the mobile version though spec wise im not sure if its going to be compatible.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Windows RT is Windows 8 for ARM - but it won't work on the Pi, or the VIA board. It's designed to be pre-loaded on tablets (and possibly one or two laptops) featuring chips from Microsoft's partners, which include Nvidia and Qualcomm. It won't be available to download, or to buy at retail, and it won't install on any device it hasn't been specifically designed for - even if it uses a near-identical ARM processor.

20. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Does it have a GPS unit ? I tried looking at your link for info Gareth but it's broken.

Tags: Add Tags