1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New Smartphone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadGinga, 2 Mar 2015.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi All,

Looking for some input.

My Wife's mobile (a somewhat ancient Nokia C6-01) has started to break; some of the screen wont respond to touch.

We looked in the O2 store and all she could say was they're too big.

I have offered her my S3 mini (when I upgrade, i.e. once the S6 is out), but she is not keen, as a) its "bigger", and b) it doesn't have a metal body.

So, can anyone recommend me a replacement (ideally on Android), that fits at least some of the following criteria:
    a) Not bigger than the Nokia C6-01
    b) Has a metal body (back is probably the only relevant part that needs to be metal)
    c) Isn't hideously expensive!

Hope someone can help :)

Cheers,
    MadG

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Generally with Android phones small=cheap so finding a metal back will be tough.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Metal body or not, you'll really struggle to find new smartphones with a diagonal screen size under 4", simply because the more recent versions of each OS (be it Android, iOS or Windows) are all designed to be used on larger screens.

Try using KitKat or Lollipop on a 3.5" screen, it will be a very painful experience. I had an Xperia U for a stint and it was a nightmare to navigate.

She will get used to a 4" screen before long - everybody does. In fact, she'll wonder how she ever survived with such a god-awful nightmare of a phone for so long :D

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

HTC One mini? The first one was a 4.3" screen. The mini version of the M8 is a 4.5" screen I think. I can't think of any other metal-body phones that are "small" off the top of my head. I know there are some small Xperia phones but I don't know if they have metal bodies or not.

5. Shirty

^ That would be my only recommendation (if it's half as good as the full-size One I had it's a winner), but I suspect you'll be shot down on the screen size still :)

6. MadGinga

And what do you think I've been telling her?!

But she's stubborn.

I had the same problem when we amalgamated our separate PCs, and I hooked up both screens, she was adamant it was unnecessary and rubbish. Now she can't live without the 2nd screen. :)

7. MadGinga

Yeah we looked at that, and its "too big", go figure.

If it were cheaper on contract then I might be able to convince her, but as she is currently only paying £13 pcm, any "upgrade" (without stumping up a huge lump sum up-front) will result in a doubling of the monthly payments.

Unfortunately her attitude to tech is: if it ain't completely and utterly broke beyond repair it doesn't need replacing.

Guess how my "I need new PC parts" conversations generally go :(

8. Shirty

Why not "accidentally" smash her Nokia into thousands of pieces and "make" her use your 3 mini for a couple of weeks? She'll soon come round.

Failing that get her an original Motorola RAZR v3 on eBay and tell her to lump it :D

It's funny how things come around. At the beginning of 2011 I got a Dell Streak, a 5" phone when 4" was considered excessive to the extreme. Everyone thought I was nuts. Now it's actually, genuinely hard to find a new smartphone under 4.5".

Once you've joined the >5" revolution even 4.5" feels dinky in the hand :lol:

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Luckily it's the same view my wife has, with her super heavy laptop and iphone 4s. Best thing is I still get to buy my new gadgets and she is happy with hers.

To be honest, I'm in the same camp. I find the original iPhone's 3.5 inch screen to be perfect. My 5s is too long for comfortable one hand usage. I only bought it for the upgraded processor speed, otherwise I'll stick with my 4s due to lack of alternatives on the market.

The current market is moving in the completely wrong direction. Mobile phone, mobile phones need to be mobile. Just like laptops, you don't want a massive 17 inch laptop that's more expensive and slower than a desktop. Smaller Ultrabook are the future, so why are mobile phones getting bigger and bigger? 3.5 to 4 inches are perfect, even iPhone 5 is too long.

So why make phones bigger and bigger? It's not a computer, you don't multi-task on it. It's a mobile communications device. There's iPad/tablets for longer uses and then there's laptops for productive work. Why turn a mobile communication device into jack of all trades? :wallbash:

/rant

10. Shirty

I like choice :)

But I agree, the choices are painfully limited for small screen fans. It'd be lovely to see a proper mid-range handset at around 3.7", built with quality and speed in mind. Instead we have plastic budget offerings that a lot if us just don't want to use.

11. MadGinga

hmmm, I might want to insulate/weatherproof the shed first if I tried that....

I've quite enjoyed my S3 mini, but I want MOAR screen (same argument with my Nexus 7). Hence why I'm gonna upgrade (probably only to the M8 or the S5, as I doubt the M9 or S6 will be anywhere near affordable), but she doesn't see the benefits... and I can't convince her otherwise!

Agreed.

Agreed.

12. Shirty

Oneplus...

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

GSMarena doesn't show an awful lot of options for her at under 110mm with the phone being released from 2013 and onwards. And that's already slightly bigger than her current phone.

I'd say keep the S3 Mini and let her wear her phone into the ground. Since she's the kind of person who doesn't want to change something if it's not broken, she may pick up the S3 Mini if she doesn't see the point of getting a new phone if you have a working spare already.

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Both my other half and mum have the new 5" Moto G and love them, very much a brilliant bargain phone for under £150 unlocked SIM free!

MadGinga likes this.
  15. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

I think when I upgrade (not got 4G) that it will either be for a Moto G or One plus. Can't argue with the price and the new premium phones are ridiculous prices.

MadGinga likes this.
  16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

my son just bought himself the new ZTE S6 blade - its actually surprisingly nice and @ £169 on amazon , good value

MadGinga likes this.
  17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I was going to suggest the new 2nd gen Moto G, but it is larger than what she wants. On the plus size, it takes micro-sd cards, has good battery life, and is probably the best budget android phone available right now.

MadGinga likes this.
  18. MadGinga

Thanks for the advice guys :)

19. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

What was the result of this? She keeping her current phone or did you end up replacing it?

20. MadGinga

Well she's keeping the phone she's got for the moment.

I am hoping to persuade her to use my s3mini once I've upgraded in the coming months, then (hopefully) she will realise that it a bigger screen is helpful, and she'll plump for the HTC one mini2 or whatever its called!