1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to maximise PPD on 12 core server

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by PS3/LanDi, 22 Jul 2013.

1. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

Hi all,
    sorry to ask what might be an obv question, but i have been a way for a while and need to get production up asap while the servers are still in test.

I have some 12 core (24ht) servers and folding being a good way of testing these, was wondering is there still such a thing as bigadv folding (how is it done on the new client?) or is there some way i should target these servers to do high PPD cores.

I quite like the intergrated gpu and cpu client for my regular workstations looks like alot has changed in last couple of years, thanks in advance for any advice:thumb:

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

bidadv still up and running. Linux only though.

Install V7, set it to CPU folding only, in the extra slot options bit add the two following options for name and value:

client-type --> bigadv
    max-packet-size --> big

If on windows you can setup a VM using VMware player version 3.0, and modify a notepad config file and set it to use all 24 cores. I'm not 100% if you can use all 24 cores in a VM, I used to set my 8 core machines VM to think the system had 12 cores so I could do bigadv folding.

3. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

Thanks for the info, yea its running a server 2012 datac edition hyper-v (sitting on a hyper-v server 2012 install) at the moment ive set the vm to use 24 cores and it seems to be hitting very close to 100%.

Shame about the linux only bigadv thing suppose i could create a vm for it but by the time i have done that the servers will have to resume normal duties (assuming they pass the test).
    anyway, info is much appriciated

4. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

If you can't run them for long just do normal folding, bigadv units take a couple of days per unit so your 'experiment' would probably run out of time by then and you would have to dump the units :)