1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Half Life 3 Announcement Today?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 27 Sep 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Valve already made 2 announcements this week so maybe....can we get Half Life 3 today?

(what time is the announcement, anyone know?)

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Valve even doing anything for the 3rd time is an achievement in it self for them, anything with there number 3 Valve just don't do... this could be the beginning of change!

3rd announcement + 3 circles + year 2013 = HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

How come all the TF2 updates were generally in 3's then? :p

5. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

The picture at the bottom has a cat (3 LETTER WORD) in it, as well as a controller with 3 buttons on it. Its the third announcement, and it taking place on the 27th day of the 9th month. 27 dived by 9 equals 3. The website launched 3 days before the Steam OS was announced.

I bet this has nothing to do with Half-Life, or any other games or software to be honest. They hinted at it being about ways to input in the last question on the Steam Machines announcement page.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Maybe the cat is "that cat" from HL2!

One lives in hope....

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I don't think it will be. Clearly steam related, not valve related.

8. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Valve announces "Valve branded baked potatoes", thanks for the ARG guys.

9. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I think I've given up on HL3 happening in my lifetime. I thought it'd been decided that it would actually be a movie instead or something, or was that april fools/troll/cancelled/just a rumor?

The story would suit a movie i think, except then gordon would probably need a voice. HL2 and the episodes are relatively cinematic, and it's not like i'm yearning for another chance to play a long FPS just to get the story, no matter how gorgeous it looks (thanks bioshock!)

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Will Half Life 3 be announced today?

As much as I'd love HL3, or even HL2: Ep3, I'm expecting something Portal or Left 4 Dead related if it's a game. More realistically it'll be the first showing of Valve's own Steambox, which the press will go nuts for even though it'll have online requirements just like the Xbone nearly did.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have never finished any of the Half Life games.

I might have to actually play them and finish them for a change to see what all the fuss is about.

12. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

[​IMG]

A new controller was announced.

These announcements are very exciting. They have managed to draw me in. I want SteamOS, a Steam machine and a Steam Controller. However, then I think logically and realise I have a huge steam game library that I can't play on SteamOS and my PC will be far more powerful than any Steam Machine and although I haven't tried the controller, a keyboard and mouse is probably better.

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I thought you could stream games to the Steam Machine? I'll agree that some games are better with a KB/Mouse but others are better with a controller.

I hope the streaming is good enough for those 'controller games' that I have in my library but only time will tell.

14. fix-the-spade

First instinct, that controller looks horrific to use, the buttons are in the spaces reserved for rarely used inputss like start/back, the touch pads will offer all the precision (lack there of) touch screen controls whilst at the same time denying both any visual feedback and the tactile feedback of analogue sticks. Plus a freaking touch screen in the middle, just in case battery life terrifies you.
    Having said that, I want one.
    The idea of active feedback through the control surface is very interesting, if it works it could potentially be fantastic, but how they will convey the positional awareness analog sticks convey instinctively is iffy. The button layout for the shoulder buttons (triggers?) and underside pads is excellent.

Even that touch screen looks useful as a combined readout/MFD/track pad, assuming it's capacitive and doesn't munch batteries (if it's a spongy mess like Wii U screen, no thanks). Placing a clicker under it so you can't activate it by accident is a smart move. The face button placement looks less awful the more I think about it, but reminds me of the black/white buttons on the original Xbox controller somehow, they just look awkwardly placed.

Pricing will be the killer, it needs to be under £60. preferrably under £50. If it's over £70 or even £100 (which with all that stuff in it it could easily be) it's dead before arrival, only the hardest of the hardcore will buy it as a standalone unit. Makes me wonder how much the Steambox(es) will be if that's the controller they're coming with.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

And to sell it... HL3. It couldn't be anything else. It would be like printing your own money and giving it to Fry. Any brand new console has to have a killer launch game. Any other game just wouldn't cut it. L4D3? Meh. Team Fortress 3? Pffft. HL3 **** yeah.

16. October

October Mariachi Style

Clicky

Recommended for regular HL3 updates.

Also I don't think the button placement is an issue, if your thumb is mashed over the touchpad it won't be too hard to reach them. My concern is as has been stated, precision. The only games I use a pad for are the ones that need the variable input a stick provides (racers, Assassins Creed etc) and I'm not sure how that will transfer with touch control.

Should be way better than sticks for sofa rts times though!

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I was just thinking, there are NO HL3 official updates ever since the end of HL2 so what the hell is there to report on?!

Seems to be kept up to date, last updated 5 hrs ago lol

18. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Valve confirmed the development of EP3 years ago. That seem to have now been canned, in favor of HL3.
    I still have my money on Valve debut there new source engine on HL3

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

lp rob1 likes this.
  20. fix-the-spade

That is priceless.