1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPD Too low on Q6600? (folding name Andy_good_life)

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by AndyD, 22 Apr 2011.

1. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

I still don't have FAHmon running so using extremeo/c site for results checking. Seems like I am getting about 5000 to 5500 ppd. I am using Q6600 o/c to 3.2Ghz and 8800GTX. using FAHControl to run both clients I am getting about 4500 of the PPD from the GPU client.

Seems like the Q6600 should deliver more than 500 to 1000 PPD? all cores are running at 100% and temps are stable. I have one SMP client running. In FAH control it shows as SMP :4. Does this mean 1 SMP client on 4 cores? Should I run another client, would this help?

The machine runs 24/7

thanks for the guidance........

2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Just run one SMP client, it looks like you are using all 4 cores.

Are you using a 3rd party application to configure the client ?

Your figures for the Q6600 seem low to me although I do not have personal experience of that processor.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Have you used a passkey?

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I just had a very similar thing with my i5 750. Set up for SMP but it downloaded the A4 core and gave me a really low ppd. I let it finish, then removed the work directory and it then downloaded the A3 core, and my ppd returned to normal. Maybe check which core it's using?

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Thoughts -

If you mistakenly omit the -smp flag when you run the client, even if you are only configuring (-configonly) it will default to a uniprocessor client. But if this happens you will see only one core running at 100%, or all four at 25% each, or something in between, you will not see all four cores at 100%. If this is the problem, then the method of noizdaemon666 is a good approach.

I think your problem lies in the way you are measuring your PPD. Get FAHmon or HFM.NET running properly, otherwise it is difficult to suggest any meaningful remedy.

Have you set up for the QRB (passkey etc.)? If not then FAHmon and HFM.NET will over-estimate your figures. The figure you give is too low for a Q6600.

Perhaps the problem lies within FAHcontrol (which is still an open beta release). Set up the 6.34 client by hand, and see if you get better results.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I had all four cores at 100% even though it was the a4 core, just to throw a spanner in the works lol Not entirely sure what had happened :sigh:

Also, yeah as Christopher N. Lew said, revert back to the 6.34 client. I did this after trying (and losing my temper with) the new beta client :)

7. AndyD

AndyD What's a Dremel?

CPU now running fah 6.34 client and getting 7000 ish ppd, all cores are 100% loaded. I am happy with this and temps are a little lower at 72 deg C (I did clean all fans a and sorted out the case airflow, case is antec 900).....I might push the clock up to 3.4Ghz......umm