1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU- Sorry i know its boring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloodburgers, 3 Dec 2012.

1. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Hi there guys & gals,

I am looking at a Gpu to replace my ageing 4870. i saw an offer on an HD7770 and thought i would look at the comparison between the two.

I must say from what i could gather from the results i wont see too much benefit from going to a 7770 despite the 3 gen gap.

I know like for like i should be looking at an HD7870 but i can quite stretch that far. Would a HD7850 be a better option.

I game at 1920 x 1080 on a 40" tv if that helps.

am also open to nvidia suggestions but have been with ATI/AMD for so long not gone green although it would look nice in my case.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

7770 is pretty pants to be honest. If you can stretch a little further, the 7850 would be a worthy (if incremental) upgrade.

Or see if you can get hold of something more meaty in the marketplace, nothing wrong with second-hand ;)

3. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

All my cards have been second hand (and ATI) after I learnt the hard way that the Nvidia FX series were a steaming pile and had to get a replacement quicksitx.

The thing is the 6870s seem to be holding their prices even in the 2nd hand market.

Where is this marketplace you speak of.

4. Shirty

5. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Thanks couldn't see the bytes through the bits.

6. Shirty

No worries, stick a wanted in there and see what come up - as long as you know your budget you should be able to find a good deal ;)

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

In the marketplace there is a link to refurbed GTX 480s for £72. That's on par with the 7850, performance-wise, but just a tad power hungry. Probably worth it, if you have the PSU to drive it.

They also have the 460 1GB, which is still a reasonable upgrade from the 4870, for £50!

YEHBABY likes this.