1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dell XPS 15 or any other XPS series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 22 Oct 2013.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, anyone used XPS series?
    Just want to see what is your experience with these laptops, planning to buy one soon.
    I'm after quad core laptop so looked at this XPS 15 version l521x.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2013
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well the new generation is out, so it's unfair to say how it will be.

By generation, I mean actual generation, like the actual construct and looks is different and not "updated version with new Intel and AMD/Nvidia GPU".

If you want to know:
    -> It won't last after 3-4 years, but that is common for all consumer grade laptops. That is assuming, you will be taking the system out every day with you. Like go to school, in class taking notes, work on it on the go (lib, or somewhere), and so on.

-> Screen is glossy, TN and not great (1377x760), which was what you had at the time.
    -> System was hot and noisy. Poor cooling engineering (not great fans, too small heatsink)
    -> Serious pain in the ass to service, let alone clean the fan.
    -> Good performance thought.

Like any laptop, business class or consumer, if you are taking the system with you everyday, I would suggest a 3 year warranty, and if you want peace of mind, 3 year warranty + Next business day in home service. IE: Dell/Lenovo/HP (depending on the brand you get), send a technician over at your place, at the time you want, next business day, with the parts, to fix your system in front of you, which you can make sure your problem is properly solved, and well, allows you to always have the system in hand, and not have to wait 1-2 weeks for repair.

May I ask, why you want a XPS system? I mean you do have a nice desktop?

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I hope you are talking about older series:eeek:

I'm after l521x - Ivy Bridge version with quad core and 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM.

This is for work, not for home:)
    I quickly need a quad core laptop, with hig res and 8-16GB RAM + SSD.
    I don't want heavy Precision or other like that laptops, so XPS was the only option I found.
    I can't find any other quad core laptop that isn't 3-4cm thick etc;)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

SERIES is the work I was looking for, thank you. Yes I am talking about the older series.

Did you see the brand new Dell Precision? Looks really nice, with a nice almost 4K display (3200x1800). I don't know the panel type. I can speculate the Sharp IGZO panel, but in any case, no mater what it is, it isn't TN panel, which is very good.

Here is the full press release, and details:
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/precision-m3800-workstation?c=us&l=en&s=bsd

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I saw those, VERY nice, slim and so powerful. But I guess those will be expensive as hell.
    I'm closing my selection and getting very close to buying this XPS 15. New one with Haswell is better but more expensive.
    £1280 excl with 2 years on-site service is pretty good for quad core, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM and 1080p lappy, me thinks...

I wish I had more options for this spec and price, but looks like there isn't any...

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

MacBook Pro?

*gasp*

Just as a thought - high end hardware, but a bit pricey. Will run Windows no sweat, although some might argue that's sacrilege... ;)

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

As a true native hardcore IT I hate iS.h.i.t hardware:)

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

So we've been looking at getting MacBook Pro's or XPS 15's at work (you can get dev builds with Ubuntu on) so we can run our stack natively as opposed to VM's (I'm a QA, the Devs use Linux or OSX already for this reason - I'm on Windows as it represents our user base more accuately).

The new series XPS 15 seems to be brilliant...and it is about £500 cheaper, spec for spec.

However, Macbook Pro with retina display running windows 8.1 is where it is at my friend, that is where it is at.

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

It doesn't look like it's cheaper when I checked: £150 more expensive - top one, new with 512SSD is £1457, old one is £1299:(

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I held that view for a long time and resisted. But, as a serious musician, I felt I needed to give Apple a chance. I bought a MacBook and was so impressed with the hardware build quality, I'll only really entertain an iLaptop these days, for everything!

The new range of MBP? Awesome. It's just a bit more expensive than rivals.

11. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Are you looking at the new XPS 15 or the one with Ivy Bridge. I think the ivy bridge one suffers pretty badly with throttling and wifi issues but it is heavily discounted at the moment with the new one released.

In terms of the new apple laptops, at least give them an unbiased look. I was completely anti apple until I realised that with a 15% student discount the new rMBP isn't actually that bad value considering the competition.

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm after old version, ivy bridge. Throttling was fixed by bios update and wifi issue fixed by swapping Intel card with new Killer card.
    RMBP are too expensive, apparently £1100 is max what my company will pay for a lappy:(

13. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Those were the only two issues I found so it looks like you're good to go :)

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Proper old school, but have an xps m1330 which is still going after nearly 6 years. It's had a new hdd and the battery won't charge so needs mains power, but otherwise it's still good as new. Can't say how the new models are built but if they're anywhere near as good as this one you're onto a winner!

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool, thanks, sounds good, I'm happy that I decided on this one.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yesterday I finally got my brand new XPS 15:)
    That is fantastic piece of hardware I must say.
    Only thing is it comes with Windows 8... My feelings to that OS are really... well...
    ..either I will get used to it, or I will be installing Windows 7 this Christmas;)

Where are product key stickers on those new laptops?
    I read that they embed the key to the mobo? IS that right?
    What if I want to wipe the whole drive delete restore partitions and install OS again from some USB pendrive? Can I use any OEM installation and it will automatically pick up the key from my mobo?

17. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you don't gel with metro, install a start menu and you're golden, 8 or 8.1 work fine, just put a start menu on if you don't get on with metro, simples.

can you not magic jelly bean your key, worked with previous versions of windows.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Go it, used some wee soft to pull it out.
    I have installed W7 menu, will see how it goes:)

I still don't get why when you open some application, like photo or movie, you cannot close it(?)
    There is no X button in the top right corner of the window, ALT+F4 doesn't work either. I always go out of it pressing Win key, but I know it's still on there in the back ground.
    Is there a way to get those buttons back on?

19. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Are they opening in metro ? I imagine they are..if so just drag them down to the bottom of the screen.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

yes.. aaaaa... that is how you close them.
    Thank you! :)