1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Squircle] Finishing Touches 04 /09/14

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Glent, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Current progress shot
    [​IMG]

Hardware

• CPU: Intel i5 4670k
    • Motherboard: MSI Gaming 7 Z97
    • GPU: MSI 270X 2GB
    • RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz 8GB
    • HDD: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K240GB
    • PSU: CoolerMaster V850 Fully Modular
    • Case: Custom Scratch Built

Cooling
    • Radiator- XPSC AX 360mm
    • Fans- Cooler Master Jetflo
    • Pump - EK DC12-400
    • Blocks- [CPU]XPSC RayStorm XSPC / [RAM]Universal Memory Copper Waterblock
    • Fittings - Bitspower Multi-Link adapter 90 degrees/ Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter/ [Many!]
    • Tubing- ShakMods 10/12 Clear Rigid Acrylic
    • Sleeving- Telios [Lutro0/E22]

Sponsors and special Mentions
    [​IMG]
    MSI Gaming 7 Z97 Motherboard & MSI 270X 2GB GPU

[​IMG]
    8GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz
    2x 240GB HyperX 3K SSD's

[​IMG]
    Cooler Master V850 Fully Modular PSU
    8x JetFlo 120mm White LED Fans

[​IMG]
    For going the extra mile to source the Bitspower Fittings and Hairibos!

[​IMG]
    For super fast shipping and service

[​IMG]
    For providing the Liquid - Mayhems Aurora 2 Red

Introduction & Planning/Concept
    I've been sat on some ideas for a good while since I did my last Project "Time Filler" back late last year. It was never going to be something I'd use the clue was in the name. it was more nothing more than something to take my mind of my bad health at that time.

My health is little better now, I spent some time recently using what I’d learnt on the last build, blending it with a pretty random idea I had, and aimed to turn it into something practical. Rather than use MSpaint which I've used the past...I know!

I decided to delve into 3D drawing applications and Sketchup was a logic choice. Now I have to be honest getting the grips with the software was tougher than I expected, Sure the tutorials are on YT but I wanted to just jump in and see what I could do...or not, needless the say the first drawing didn’t the hit mark…and wasn’t as I'd hoped. The overall shape is there, maybe if you squint your eyes or roll your head?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nope. Afraid not. So yeah not great!, but working in 3D I could see this random idea I have working. I took the easy route and spent a few hours watching tutorials and getting the grips with Sketchup. Using some premade models from the online warehouse, Next attempt was a step in right direction.

Left [second attempt] Right First [ first attempt]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never used anything like this but I can’t recommended it enough for planning, being able to change things on the fly is extremely helpful
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After laying the tubing route into place, I moved onto rendering, again much time was spent looking at tutorials and downloading free plugins and such. I’m still very much at the low end of learning curve, it’s been hit and miss but I’m happy at this point. I used many different render plugins and the images speak for themselves, some are poor others a little better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the top chamber is set to act as point for all external cables, USB,Power, everything like that, I want to channel them and have they all coming out at the same point. I’m avoiding all clutter when possible. The render doesn’t show everything I have planned, like I said I’m learning as I go,

The case is split into 3 chambers. 2, large [left and right] 1 small
    {param}

Last edited: 6 Sep 2014
  2. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Right then boys and girls had a slight hold up but I've made some progress. Due to legal reasons I'm not able to show much of the actual fabrication process. So the exterior frame was made with two sheets bent that meet at the middle.

[​IMG]

They have been a few blunders between the work my brother did and some of guys that helped with the welding. It’s not all bad though I'll just make this one....
    MK1

[​IMG]

The main issue is that the top plate has been fitted upside down, meaning the PCI bracket won’t work, it’s a two minute fix but once the rig started to shape, the sheer size of this thing really hit me. I have to seriously consider keeping as it, or downsizing. Its and empty frame and looks can be deceiving. Once the components and tubing go in it’ll fill pretty quick.

Any what I’m doing to do now is mock fit some parts and perhaps rejig the design, and then back to the shop. Until then, this is where I'm at

[​IMG]

This plate top for motherboard and PSU is upside down...whoops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mesh won't be staying, it was just a random off cut that was going spare. So yeah metal work looks so so at this stage, it’s nice seeing it in the flesh and putting pen to paper, then moving to sketchup and now this. Their much to tweak and I hope to have Mk2 ready for late next week

Last edited: 21 Jul 2014
  3. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

[Update] The more its sat here in front of me for the last week or so, the more I've realized it needs to be downsized for sure. With that said it was back to sketechup to trim it down some.

Aside from trimming it down a fairly obvious flaw is present in MK1, the bottom chamber had the most visual pleasing point imho, but was hard to see this area, being so low down. Obvious fix is to 180 degree flip the design, bringing the main tubing up top.

I've shrunk to overall sizes down from a mammoth 65Hx65WX40D to 50x50x40, now that might not seem that much, but really it is. The top and bottom chamber are now 100mm instead of 150mm. I rotated the radiator also to compensate for the reduction.

The middle chamber has also been reduced allowing the two side chambers more room,

Anyways this is where I'm at today. I may post some proper renders of the weekend or just wait till mid next week and post MK2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I’m showing atm is just a brief frame, the cosmetics changes I have planned will make a significance difference. The new design allows a fill and drain port to be added in more accessible and logical point too.

I’m not able to post potential parts,specs and such until I finalize current conversations with some people. I’m not aiming for extreme or even high end tbh, it’s more a visual project than a power house.

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Looks great! I'm interested as to how it'll look in reality.. Also, just haveto say.. 5* for the rendering concepts! *Subbed*

5. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Still much to learn.

So I just wanted to check in and layout some plans. Give a little update on where I'm at currently. I'm a little behind schedule for a few reasons. Mostly lack of machine time at my local CNC/Fabrication. It's been has been a nightmare try to get shop floor time since they took on additional work. Target for MKII is middle of next week.

The real issue the tubing and the guess work involved at this point. If I had the motherboard and blocks to hand, I could map out the holes that need cut
    and have them lasered out before the main horizontal shelves are fixed. The plan was always to have the case fabricated and drill them my self.

The problem I've inherited with overall size reduction is trying to drill out these holes by hand is going to be tricky now, given that the middle chamber is now set to be smaller than before. I would struggle to get a drill in their and work freely. The plan now is to have the top self made up but not fixed yet. This will allow me to mock it into place and remove it, in and out to mark for tube routes and any cuts I need to make.

The downside of this approach is of-course is time. I should have most of the case ready soon but I'll need to mark the holes,cut them out, test fit the rigid tubing and then find more time to have the top shelf fitted again. Using some sort of brackets,bolts on the top shelf has crossed my mind. It does open up options for upgrades,changes and maintenance but would take away from the clean look I'm going for. I dont want to use bolt or rivets that would be seen on the exterior.

This has caused a "what if we do it this way..." chats that has snowballed for a week or two now. As is, I'm not sure what is the right path to take.

Paint and finish where set to be done locally but the business is relocating, and with the projected case weight, shipping isn't' really an option. I'm now searching for someone else to do the powder coating and I can't at this time find anyone. I have sent out a ton of email and made a few calls, fingers crossed I hear back soon.

The important above all issue, is that of fitting choice, As you may know we aren't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to rigid tubing and fittings. All have pros and cons. I've worked with the V1 Ghost fittings from Primochill, they have since been tweaked and are more aesthetically pleasing.

Even If I was to use the Primochill fittings in the loop,their are sections that require tight 90/180 bends and I know they would be better suited with 90degree fittings. I'd prefer not to mix fitting types and brands.

The most viable solution for the look I want, is to use the newer Bitspower Multi-Link adapter 90 degrees fittings

[​IMG]
    and
    Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter G1 / 4 inch OD 12mm

[​IMG]

After some research, particularly from Bill Owen and his team of monkeys, The Bitspower fittings are the best choice here. I wouldn't need to mix any brands and it would look more universal. The pitfall of course is that these are premium fittings. Coming at at £11.99 each for the 90's, the projected cost went through the roof.

Even after a design tweak I'm still looking at 35pcs [90s] and a few regular fittings too. This has pushed the cost way above what I had hoped for int region of £450. I will be looking at the best option over the next few days before making a firm choice. The cheaper approach is to add some bends to the tubes here and their, this could push the cost down a bit but would spoil the look imho.

[​IMG]

Just as they have in the past Kingston have stepped in and offered their support. I must express my gratitude to them for being part of the build. What they'll been offering I'll be showing in due course. Their may be another sponsor or two but again more about that soon

To wrap up up, I'll get MKII put together this week. I'm not at home just now but I will get some updated renders up to show the tweaked design, inc a GPU in the loop. Theirs is much more I want to share but one step at a time.

Till next time.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Someone say "monkey"?:lol:
    Looks, great, but I'd add structure to the bottom somehow. The sheer size of this thing might cause the base to warp a bit.

-NVM, I noticed you are working on it in some of the pics.

I'd abuse the sh*t out of cnc cutter access. Have everything drawn up from the beginning and you could leave the shop with a finished case.:D

7. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

hahah yeah them Monkeys sure made the fittings choice alot easier. For sure the base chamber will need some additional support. The PSU alone would have caused issue.

I'm already pushing my luck with free machine time and materials but that said, I can only but try for moar :thumb:

8. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Quick update with more to follow tonight or tomorrow, The bulk of the case has been fabricated today with the a few smaller cosmetic and structural supports to be added soon.

I've also located a local business to do the powder coating. I'm still sat on the fence about fittings and tubing route but now that I have a live version to work with rather than 3D model, I should be able to make a firm decision soon. More images to follow ASAP

low res quick snap from phone sorry :p

[​IMG]
    Till next time

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Nice work, something you might find useful if you don't already know is that you can design a 2D model in sketchup and using sketchup you can print it out to exact scale, that's 1 : 1 full scale which is very useful for making (non CNC) templates and marking materials out for cutting, drilling, etc, you would think printing to scale would be easy with today's printers and software but I couldn't get my printer to do it accurately :wallbash:

I used it when making stencils for the paintwork on my recent Skullduggery build, there's a link for scale printing here.

10. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the suggestion, Like you I had little luck in producing a true 1:1 scale printout for the first few attempts. it seems hit and miss. However I will be using it again as you said for masking and drilling areas out. :thumb:

a few more snaps, better images to follow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

So then a long overdue update for you guys. Apologies!
    I've made logs in the past but I wanted to do go the extra mile this time around. Sometimes a picture can't show and emphasize where you going, or what you did. For this reason I made the decision to add a VLOG to coincide with this log.

I will say, at this point the videos are raw, no flashy editing or glamour shots to show of course. It's just me chatting about the build and the end goal. Future videos will be shorter and more focused ;)

*I'll have to have a chat with Mods before posting the link*

It's been a slow month but progress is starting to take shape now. First thing I ordered was http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-180-XS
    It was on “deal for today” I believe. I didn't strictly need it but at the price it would be rude not too.

Starting point was tackle was the first mid plate that the motherboard will mount too. The weld points needed some mass filing, to allow it to sit neatly.[​IMG]

I also test fitted the bottom side section, I've yet to cut the two SSD Windows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MK 1 side by with MKII
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The side effect of taking the middle section in and out, filing and such caused some damage at the cases weld points here. I will patch them up before paint of course

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I lost a fair amount time with the start of the world cup too, and complaining about the amount of crisps you don’t get in a so called extra fill pack :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nice package came from CoolerMaster arrived.

I'm absolutely thrilled to have their support. The PSU is perfect managing the cables in the build. The Jetflow fans with White LED's will add some nice lighting effects and epic airflow too

[​IMG]

I will add some shots of the included parts, cables adaptors and such. I'll be honest I was just too keen to test fit everything!

Tested fitting the PSU and prayed the screw holes lined up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Jetflows fitted for mock up, blurry motherboard????
    [​IMG]
    As said above, I will add some more pics of the Fans and the PSU Soon

I’m thinking about using something like the NZXT Grid to manage all the cable at one central point in the mid chamber Time will tell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adding cable routes for the Fan cables was done with a drill and file
    [​IMG]
    Still rough at the moment
    [​IMG]

I had another package arrive that allow me to move forward significantly also

[​IMG]

Again I can't express my gratitude enough to MSI UK for their support.

I will be Working with Gaming 7 Z97 Motherboard and 270X Gaming edition GPU. Do keep In mind what I said at the start of the thread. This was never meant to be a power house. I had always been on the fence to add a GPU with block into the loop or not. I've decided at this point in time not to do that. The loop design however allows me to implement it with ease in the future. Again the desire to get everything in their, got the better of me, so more images to follow soon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same image from earlier, no need to hide the Board and GPU now :D
    [​IMG]

With the parts now here I could crack on and add the mounts for the motherboard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With help from my assistant of course
    [​IMG]

It made sense to incorporate some “MSI Gaming” theme touches into the build. The first thing I wanted to add was something to the bottom plate around the I/O area. Using the MSI dragon I took a sheet of 3mm acrylic and attempted to make the tail. Results aren't bad considering it was all done by hand and many, many, many hours of sanding and filing went into it!

[​IMG]

The process was rather unothordox but kept me busy haha
    [​IMG]
    Lots of mess
    [​IMG]

and so the sanding begins
    [​IMG]

and the tail fins
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the reservoirs, again unorthodox approach! I have two 50cm versions here to hand, from a retired build. Scratched up and of no real uses. I will be using the 25cm version in due course, so I cut one in half to allow me to mock them up :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On top of this I've had a random idea to bring in the MSI dragon claws and well. You’ll see....Using a clamp, the res and heat gun I made this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added some white paper, just to aid with separating the colours. The real issue is the scale of the tail and hands, to me don’t feel right, so we’ll see how I goes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly A good friend of mine supplied with me 10x1m lengths of PETG tubing, in short it’s much more resilient then generic tubing! Again more details to follow. Thanks Dave!!!
    [​IMG]

So that's where I'm at guys, lots of polishing and edges to clean up. 30th birthday on Friday, A few delivery s due this week or next and then I will be placing the order for the projected 51 fittings.

Till next time, thanks for reading

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking good.:D -We gotta get you in the project logs section, though.

13. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate, I did send a few Pm's but will try again :thumb:

14. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Very Minor update for you all today.

My care package from Kingston arrived
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll be using
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've worked with Kingston before and love their products. The SSD's especially have the perfect look for the build. In time you'll see just how much.

The memory again I've used it before but this time it’s going under water that said it was time to put an order in at none other than OCUK. I must state I've been in regular contact with some of the team.
    Due the constant part and build changes behind the scenes there have been quite a few revisions to my order, the guys I've been chatting with couldn’t have been more helpful. They've really gone the extra mile!

[​IMG]

I had been very keen to use EKWB CPU and ram block in the build, for a couple of reason I swapped them out and ordered XSPC instead. Mostly a stock issue on the day of the order. EKWB recently showed a clean, non CSQ or frosted top for their ram block. I do generally favour clear blocks and coloured liquids. To keep the amount colours in check I've favoured the following instead.

I've gone for the XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock (Intel)

Also the Red Faceplate insert

XSPC Memory WaterBlock + Side Plate Set

I am using another 2x Dimms in this build, bring the total to 16 GB So I required
    XSPC Universal Memory Side Plate (Twin Set)

XPSC Raystorm plus Insert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installing the blocks onto the Beast Ram, simple enough procedure. Using a heat gun the sinks popped off with ease.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Repeat 4 more times
    [​IMG]

Test Fitted on the MSI Gaming 7
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The copper sticks out a like a sore thumb and more so when I mocked up the CPU Block

[​IMG]

It had to be painted, wrapped or something. I opted to paint it. Trial and error at this point in time
    Masked up
    [​IMG]

The flash added a shiny effect but the colours are pretty close
    [​IMG]
    Much better
    [​IMG]

Lastly I picked up the first batch of Bitspower fittings, on the day my order was placed the"Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter G1 / 4 inch OD 12mm - Matte Black" where not in stock, they should land in the next two weeks.

I have the 90 degree version that join two sections of tubing together. The photos don’t do them justice, they are beautiful fittings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for today, I've hoping to drill/cut out the holes for the pass through ports this week and start tubing up once the Bitspower Multi-Link Adapter G1 / 4 inch OD 12mm - Matte Black ship.

Thanks for reading

15. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Great work Glent ! I like the shape of your rounded-edges-cube and the internal architecture in two separated compartments :D

16. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback :thumb:

Aside from working out the kinks in sketchup,, the other reason I wanted to approach my logs this way, was to aid the readers visualize where I was going with this. That said I still wanted an element of surprise too.

My last few shipments of fittings and pass throughs are being delayed, so I have some time to fill, I've made some minor tweaks here and their to resolve some areas that have niggled me for some time. Particularly the reservoirs.

It just didn't quite work and took away some of visual effect i had hoped for. The fix is to move them into the smaller mid chamber. Rather than bury them away I will cut out sections either side of the motherboard tray. so they'll still be seen, and the mid windows have more purpose too.
    [​IMG]

Also playing with SSD window cutout design today, Needs some tweaking.
    [​IMG]
    I will add another piece behind the one shown(which adds support to the frame too)
    Where I will mount the SSD's , It'll need some lighting to to work as I plan, and will tie in nicely with what I have in mind for the low/mid plate where the dragon/branding is set to be put too.

For the Lighting, Two White PC LED strip purchased from Mnpctech today, http://mnpctech.com/pc-led-lights/

[​IMG]

I don't have much free time until the weekend now, so expect an update then

17. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

New mid plate cut with windowed area, 3mm to large so I need to file it some
    [​IMG]

Also the side sections are partially done, the SSD windows panel will stay. Ignore the section I have placed in the top chamber, that will be revised soon. It will be opened up to show all the internal tubing ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Epic work and epic design. Subbadubbadubbadubbed.

19. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

The PC LED lights should arrive in few days Glent, and the build is lookin good!

20. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to fitting them :) Thanks for the kind words, means a lot

So little update again, As I said earlier, Just filling time now waiting on fittings to arrive, then its all go. I set about taking the extra 3mm off the new motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]

*New Fittings*
    I won't get into specifics about these but again, stock issues, time frame and budget. I had to look for something that I couldn't find anywhere in the UK or even EU (Bitspower alternative).

These fittings are something I stumbled upon on another forum and decided they would be a decent plan B for this loop. Their not a name I was familiar with either, "Barrow".

I took a chance and order a batch of 90 Rotarys, Pass through's and some cool looking T pieces.
    ( I'll add a link to some high res unedited images in due course)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know their are some theorys about them and I've no idea really, nor do I really care. This isn't a good image to compare either, as they are different style fittings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the quality side though, they are very good, all but one of the passthroughs are perfect, as are T Pieces, the 90's well hard to say as the packaging was quite poor, the majority have very small dings (under the paint) but nothing major.

Anyhow, with some fittings here I can do *some* of the loop now. I've had to be creative and used some old primochill ghost fittings. As my Bitspowers ones aren't here *yet*. So try and ignore the rainbow effect, it only temp!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to follow once the final set of fittings arrive, thanks for reading