1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Need For Speed: The Run Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Nov 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Got this running and I have to say the game is aimed purely at online play, simply because the story can be finished in less than 3 hour's.

The graphic's are no better than the previous game Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, other than the effect's of the enviroment being better and looking quite nice.

I have to say I am disappointed with it especially seeing as even with a SSD and a decent chip etc, it still takes ages to load the next race and the game is locked at 30fps and sometimes it stutters right at a important turn etc.

The lack of options for audio I think is a joke, as I like to turn the in game music up and the engine noise down abit so that I can hear the music more however with this game, you can barely hear the music in the game over the noise of the engines.

The engines sound nice and the exhaust's sound throaty on the muscle car's, but the handling is abit hit and miss for me.

While I cannot understand why people would actually use anything but a game controller for this game, the lack of Keyboard support that I have heard off is abit stupid I think as well as some people may want to use the Keyboard instead of a controller why I don't know but some people may want to so the option should be there for them.

Once thing I have found is that before I race I have to reset the button's on my controller in the game as they reset to the default setting's everytime I close the game and open it again.

I just wish they would make a Need For Speed Most Wanted 2 with the same arcade style of never breaking car's, and being able to choose body kit's etc because while I like the new games I just have that itch that cannot be scratched to play something like NFS Most Wanted again, because quite simply I cannot play that game with large black bar's down the side of the screen because my resolution is to high for the game.

There is NFS Carbon to try and scratch the itch but, to be honest it just doesn't do it as there's just something missing there that doesn't quite do it.

3. PE4KS

PE4KS What's a Dremel?

So does the PC version support 360 gamepads?

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yes and to be honest it's 99% mandatory that you have a Xbox 360 controller or some sort of controller.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Why would u use a shitty gamepad for a driving game? Force feedback steering wheel and pedals or don't bother.

6. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Wow, better than I expected. Good thing the intense races make up for the QTE's. .

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

oh god yes please! the itch you speak of is the giant doughnut crashing 5 police cars :D

Carbon was at night, with less police gameplay. it feels more like Underground racing rather than police evading Most Wanted. Undercover has a very very strange handling mechanism, and the fact you could start off getting chased by hardest police really put me off.

8. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I'm glad the dude liked the game but if you're interested you should read some more reviews as well. The game runs poorly (just like every NFS game at launch) the controls are a bit rubbish and the QTE's and story are game-breakingly painful

9. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

I still can't get our pad to work (just shows as a steering device and can't re-assign the triggers as accelerate or the sticks as steering). did it just work with you, or did you need to do something clever?

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I'm glad this has gotten a decent write up, I am keen to give it a try.

11. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I'm shunned to see a NFS Game so soon after their last. Does it sport any police chases? Or is it merely just racing?

12. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Yeah, police get involved. It is a huge illegal street race, after all.

From the article:
    Equally, the police radio interceptor messages add tension and urgency, adding to your workload of simple tasks such as trying to pass a rival, stay on the road and not splay your car across the front of an oncoming truck.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So you race from A to B due to a story that makes no sense and is told poorly, along the way there are some scripted events to f*** up your trip, if the script succeeds then you have to suffer through QTEs, there is still no proper damage model but in return you get to suffer through the wtf is this social network **** doing in my game that goes by the name of autolag sorry autolog which is just yet another account that you have to create and remember, but will forget about before the next Nfs Game comes out and then will have to create yet another account for it.

Sounds like my idea of a great game. Not.

Also it is very bad manners to use a Gamepad in the testing of PC versions of Games as it allows developers to get away with controls that are messed up beyond recognition.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What are you talking about? You would play a racing game on PC with a keyboard and mouse?!

Back on topic, great review and I will be purchasing as long as it isn't Origin only......

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Full stops, aisle 10. Customer Anfield please. *catches his breath* :)

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Because this is an arcade racer with rubbish handling characteristics so a wheel is overkill?

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I only play racing games with a Keyboard on my PC, thats because I dont have a steering wheel or pedal set, but that does not mean I am a retard or that my fun is diminished because of it..... controller use is subjective and having a choice is one of the stengths of the PC, I just happen to enjoy using a keyboard.

So my question is - can I use a keyboard this game?

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would deffo recommend avoid using a wheel (at least a decent one) for this type of game.

Agreed, if it was a decent racing game then maybe. (NFS shift 2 is amazing with a decent wheel). But this is an arcade racer, and a pad is mich more suitable for the pick up and play style.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It destroys any sense of fun and what tiny bit of realism there may have been. Detest gamepads. For flightsims I have Saitek X52 Pro, for racing I use wheel and pedals.

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I just plugged in my Xbox 360 controller, which is the wired version as I don't have one of the Wireless adaptor's for the wireless controller.

I then calibrated it in windows and ran the game and it worked but as I say I just have to go in to the controls options each time I start the game and reset the button's to what I want them to be.

Tags: Add Tags