1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Why is this motherboard so cheap?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 23 Oct 2015.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi all.

I've been looking at this board for quite some time - its basically my dream board because it allows me to build a 6 core, 12 thread monster in a Mini ITX form factor. However, the problem has always been the price - its around £250 which is INSANE. Overclockers though, have always stocked it around the £190 mark - which is still insane - but not quite as painful (partly because the Z77 ITX board I have is worth more than it was new nowadays).

Link

Anyway, can anyone work out why Overclockers can afford to sell it at £60 off the RRP (or at least, everyone else's prices)

EDIT: I've answered my own question through a phone call to Scan. They were really up front about it and it turns out since Overclockers were purchased by CaseKing a few months ago, their buying power has increased considerably, and as a result they are able to buy in bulk, and negotiate better prices with suppliers. The guy said that they were aware of Overclockers price on this, and actually had this particular part flagged on their system.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2015
  2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Buy ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Balls. Just bought one. Looks like I'm not going to sell that 5960X after all...

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Oops never mind.

I can't access OC UK thought it might be a DDOS. I coudn't access Aria either but I can now, so maybe its not a DDOS.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2015
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah Caseking are absolutely enormous players tbh. Germany is one of the highest PC gaming countries out there and they take their PC gaming very seriously.

Since being sold to Caseking OCUK really are a force to be reckoned with now. Even their customer service (which used to be ran by a racist) was sterling when I used it last.

I made the mistake of buying a Hazro monitor on B grade. Needless to say it arrived without any stand and had a big yellow line running down the screen. They sent DPD to pick it up and initially only refunded me the cost of the monitor so I posted a thread in their CS section and was refunded the shipping immediately.

I was actually quite surprised tbh. Bailey is excellent when it comes to these matters. Have seen lots of happy faces on the forums after he took over their return.

As much as it pains me to say it I really would not hesitate to order from OCUK. In the past I only ordered when they got one of the deals that just weed on the competition. For example, they had a GTX 470 for £170 when everywhere else it was £280. They're also in cohorts with MSI, just look at the recent deals on the 780 gaming and 780 Lightning for example, no one can match that !

As for that little Asrock board? If I were building a small PC* I would not hesitate to order one and bung in a 5820k.

*I built a tiny PC before and I still get annoyed even just thinking about it. It was like a Rubik's cube and had to be built in a certain order, PSU last, so getting the wires into the PSU was a joke.

For fiddlers like myself ITX is too much aggro.

6. Parge

Bahahaha.

I'll get one eventually but probably not til Xmas. At the very least because I can't be bothered to install W10 again.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It's a great looking board, however only using dual channel on a quad platform upsets my ocd :D

8. Vault-Tec

Stupid question.

Can you actually do any meaningful overclocking with this board? I've read reviews and information seems scant, and tbh if you can I just wonder where they have hidden the necessary power phases.

9. Parge

Yeah, BT got their CPU to 4.3GHz - which is near enough the highest overclock they've achieved with that particular CPU.

10. Vault-Tec

Not bad. My 5820k will do 4.6ghz for benching but I run it at 4.4 so there's not a massive difference.