1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 360 Wireless reciever drivers

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cerberus90, 3 Oct 2014.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Why can't Windows remember the drivers for a USB device when you plug it into a different USB port!!

I've just had everything unplugged from the PC, and on reconnecting, have obviously put my Microsoft 360 Controller wireless receiver into a different USB port.

Windows now has no idea what this device is and it's listed as Unknown Device in device manager. If I try to update drivers automatically, it says it doesn't know what it is and can't find drivers.
    If I try to do it manually and use the disc that came with the adapter, then it says it knows it's a wireless receiver but there was an error installing the drivers!

I'm :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:, it's ridiculous, especially when it's a Microsoft product, I shouldn't even need to install a driver, it should be there or on windows update.

So, any ideas on how I can get this working again? I've tried googling for the solution, but none will work.
    I've tried plugging it into another USB port, but get the same problem. I've tried uninstalling the device through device manager, but it then still can't find the drivers.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

When I installed it, I had to click on the Update Driver button within Device Manager and then select the source of the files manually. It seemed to go through fine. It then gave me a list of parts/devices to choose from and then you go from there. I'm guessing you've tried this though.

Why do you keep changing its port? Just leave it plugged in. :D

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah, tried that.

I had the PC out to have a good clean/hoover out and organise all the cables.

It shouldn't matter though what port it's in, Windows should be able to remember that it's got the driver for that device. :D

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

What a complete joke.

Just plugged it into some of the other ports, and it's started working again in one of them, so that must be the one it was in before.
    Didn't want to do that as I'm stubborn that way, :D.

I just don't get how it can possibly lose the driver just because it's in a different USB port.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I think that when the driver installs, it then points it to that specific port, hence why it won't work in others. It's just a bad driver, that's all.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I remember my razer mouse being like this, if you unplugged it and plugged it into another port the management software forgot all the settings...

7. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Different port probably means a different address, which means as far as Windows is concerned it's a new device.

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I can understand it having to re-detect it, although with some of my other devices it doesn't matter which port I plug them into, but my main annoyance is that windows is unable to install the drivers for it even though it's already got them, and even worse, won't allow me to tell it to install a driver which I know is correct.
    But then also, if it's the driver pointing to that USB port, why did it not work after uninstalling the device in device manager?

I suspect it's as Dutch says, a bad driver, possibly combined with some oddity of Windows.