1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Firewall block list

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deders, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

Just wondering if there is any reason to have System or Svchost on the block list for a firewall?

For instance could some malware call itself one of these to get round a firewall?

I've got SVChost blocked and i still have full connectivity, any reason why it should want to access the internet?

For some reason it keeps trying to contact various Network Information Centres around the globe

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Well I don't seem to have any issues with either so far, can update and access other computers on the network.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

afaik Windows Update and the Windows Time Service use svchost to connect to the internet.

Try a manual windows Update and see if it still works.

It only needs outbound.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

All my updates are done manually anyway, and I've just manually updated the windows time service, last successful auto update was 1am.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

So have you blocked svchost inbound only then?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

ahh that seems to be the case, all the logged blocked connections for it are inbound only.

I've always been slightly suspicious of svchost as there are so many instances that appear in the task manager, If i was going to attempt to write some malware it would be the first thing i'd try to infiltrate so when commodo asked me if I wanted to block it I said yes.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  8. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

I would just block all inbound connections then finish, simple and effective.