1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Browser Choice at Work

Discussion in 'Software' started by will_123, 5 Apr 2011.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Right now at work im having to use eclipse quite alot which leaks more than busted barge! Its stupid. So right now im trying to figure out which browser will use the least memory while browsing. Just want to keep the PC moving as fast as possible while working. I have 2GB and find that eclipse just laps it up also have other programs on as well which are not using to much but it all adds up.

Thanks
    William

2. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

I'm on a county council network locked up tighter than a duck's bum, so I have to go for IE7.

...officially that is. I run Firefox Portable (4.0) which is smooth and fast enough for me. I've been running it all morning with anything up to ten tabs open, and it's current sitting at 194MB usage, which isn't great, but it's not too bad either.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

For me, Chrome uses a min of about 90meg with Firefox at 170meg, So chrome all the way.

That on OSX 10.6.7. I've not checked these numbers on Win7.

What you need is more RAM! 2GB isn't anywhere enough to multitask with any decent IDE and a browser setup. I boosted my MBP from 2GB to 8GB and it made a bigger difference than I hoped, and it's surprising how often my usage goes over 4GB.

So badger your boss (if you have one) to get more RAM for your workstation. 4GB minimum these days.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm on a large, corporate network, one that appears to be in some sort of temporal backwater. Yep, I'm forced to use the internet equivilant of stone knives and bearskins to view the web - IE6.0.2

Give it another couple of years and the Network Nazis may even admit to the existance of Fire...fox.

I doubt it though. IE7 in 5 years time is my bet.

Pity me. ;)

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

IE 7.
    Used to be FF or Chrome or Opera, but alas, they block most of them now, and they do regular network scans to check up on these things... :(

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

USB Portable Firefox?

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I work in a building that is forced into using IE6 due to the IT department being stuck in the stone age. But due to the nature of our work with hosting sites we are on our own little private network with whatever OS we want.

I think i might give FF4 a go see what its like.

9. saemilin

saemilin What's a Dremel?

I had ie but I used chrome. It's just better I found.

10. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I'm confused by the people who're saying they are 'forced' in to using IE6.

Are your IT departments clever enough to lock down your PCs to prevent you from installing Chrome, but at the same time stupid enough to still be running IE as the standard browser? The mind boggles.

To answer the OP - Chrome has a very small footprint.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's not locked down, it's called Policy.

you are getting paid by a company, you obey by their rules. they say you can't check personal emails or can't use unapproved software, you don't do those things. :nono:

IE7 here, company rolling out Win7 in the next year. so hopefully will at least get IE9, heard good things about it.

12. CopperX

CopperX IT Support BOFH @ a Uni.

For the University, the standard staff & student desktop images (WinXP & W7) have both IE8 and Firefox 3 installed.

However, all the PCs in Computing Services (our IT dept) are virtually unrestricted. Currently got IE8, FF4 & Opera 11 installed on my WinXP machine. IE8 does come in handy, especially for certain corporate systems & MS software. The IT staff that are lucky to have W7 installed usually have IE9 & FF4 on them.

13. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

On these old P4's? Chrome all the way. We are "upgrading" to Pentium Dual Core E5800 and win7 in a couple of months, but i'll still stick with Chrome. If they force me to stop, i'll make sure IE doesn't work at all.

14. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Nope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No lag that i can see :D, 4 tabs open in opera and iTunes playing music. Not seeing any lag when running code in Netbeans either.

15. DieselPower

DieselPower What's a Dremel?

At my last placement Firefox was the one to use, as IE just didn't work.

16. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

High school we were stuck on restricted IE7. We decided to get a proxy and firefox portable on usb keys so we could go on youtube. The best part was when one teacher finally found out, he was more interested in how we did it than to care that we were doing things we weren't supposed to. He was telling us to look up youtube videos for him!

17. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'd respectfully ask you guys to ease up on the 'IT department' as A) that would be me and I don't like to be picked on lol - and b) a lot of time older browsers are forced to stay due to older systems not being updated to work with ie7 / firefox etc. It's not always just up to the IT guys to decide, IE sucks firefox all round

18. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

At my work our IT guy refuses to update our internet so we are stuck in IE 6 or 7 which is brutal because no tabs. Everyone complains but our IT guy keeps saying "the new one isn't stable or as secure EVERY time"

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

FF4, considered chrome but im a foxer

20. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If you're using Vista or 7 then I'd seriously give IE9 a go, been using it as my main browser since the release candidate and more than happy with it on the whole. That said, any of Firefox, IE or Chrome are all excellent choices now, and I'm pretty sure there are enough benchmarks around showing comparative memory usage to get a good perspective on that too.