1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIOS rollback?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BioSniper, 2 Aug 2006.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

For some time now I've not been able to quite put my finger on my systems terrible performance in some games (PlanetSide, Dawn of war loading times etc) but the more I think about it the more I seem to believe that the bad performance started when I updated my bios to the latest and last version.

I have an NF7-S v2.0.

Can I roll back to an older bios (this would hopefully include an older sata bios) or is this action plain unsafe?

Cheers guys :)

Last edited: 2 Aug 2006
  2. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

It really just boils down to the OEM/Manufacturer. If they still provide/support the older version(s) (unlikely), then it shouldn't (80-90%) be a big issue.

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Should be fine... I've done it quite a few times. It's probably worth resetting the CMOS after the flash, though.

4. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Oh, good call, I should have thought of that.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Cheers guys. Abit is nice enough to provide all the BIOS' on their site from first manufacture to last release. :thumb:
    The only other concern is that in the last release I believe it also updated the Silicone Image SATA/RAID BIOS also and im not too sure if the later version would either be re-flashed back to an older version or if it would be incompatable.

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

If an older version which contains an update for the SIL controller is available, flash to it as it will deffo be compatible with the bios you're flashing along with it. :)

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

If it does kill your mobo (unlikely), I believe A-bit provides BIOS chips for a free, or low shipping fee. I'm not sure if they still do that, but last time I checked was only about a year or so ago.

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Well. I flashed and it was a success. Sadly though it doesnt seem to have changed anything performance wise. *sighs* maybe its just time for a new system.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Maybe so. Have you tried a 3rd party BIOS? I flashed my NF7-S with a TicTac BIOS a while ago, and it helped no end with performance (well... 5% and a much friendlier BIOS). Maybe it's just time for a good format instead?

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

My install is fresh sadly so there is nothing now that I can do. Perhaps something finally gave up and died though I honestly have no idea just my performance gets worse pretty much every day with or without format and no matter what drivers I try (old or new)