1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice So I just bought a Scan Refurb H80i ***Update With Air 240 Pics***

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookie, 9 Feb 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I took the plunge and ordered 1 up yesterday. Anyone ever bought a refurb from Scan? Please don't tell me I should have avoided it lol

UPDATE: I blended the innards from my main rig with those from my media PC into a Corsair Air 240. Sorry the pics are not great but I only have a camera phone :sigh:......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Feb 2015
  2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

They are corsair refurbs.

Like new, rad may have some signs of use to the fins.

My H100 keeps my Hex nice and cool :)

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Have never bought one but have only heard good things from those that have.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've been using one for a couple of years on the rig in my sig, keeps my 3770k @ 4.6 as cool as can be

5. Pookie

Phew! I have also bought a Carbide Air 240. Doing a new build for myself this friday as a birthday treat :thumb:

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I heard a few horror stories which, on further study, appeared to be a handful of bad units that received an awful lot of attention. Usual story - bad experience + shouty internet twunts = hugely exaggerated issue.

For the record, I bought a refurb H80, and RMA'd it after a few months because of a slightly noisy pump - it was replaced without issue by Scan. The replacement ran for the best part of a year before I sold to a mate, who has been running it since last spring. I ended up buying a second one as a spare, which eventually went into the kids' PC.

Also, I believe the warranty on Corsair refurbs was extended to 12 months, even though Scan were showing 3 months (but you should check to be sure).

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Got one, it's Corsair refurbished rather than Scan refurbished.

Mine came sealed in the retail box with all the bits, works great.

8. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Pls upload some pictures dude quite interested myself sticking it in a cm110

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I bought one ages ago. It was perfect, looked to me like it had never been used. Still trucking away today in my parents CM Elite 110.

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Bought my H100i as a refurb. I dont think I could tell the difference. Retail packaging with its cellophane wrapper still on.

more importantly rad's were completely ding free!

11. Pookie

Well it will be with me tomorow and I'll update the thread with some pics. I'm not actually installing until friday. There is a huge saving on getting a refurb and I figured it would be more reliable than a new one.

12. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I have had 2 h100 from them the only thing that you can see is that they have a refurb sticker on the box mine were like new

13. Pookie

OP updated :thumb:

14. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Nice build, any reason you didn't have the radiator at the rear exhaust port so you aren't blowing warm air over the motherboard? I know a lot of people mount them like this but it looks like you wouldn't have any issues mounting it at the back from looking at the pictures?

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Really like those Corsair air jobbies, may have to bite the bullet on one at some point.

Nice build.

16. Pookie

The rear fan ports are only 80mm! I could have mounted it in the roof but it was just easier mounting at the front. I also intend to install a HG10 on the 290x and use my H60, this will be easier to mount on the roof than the H80i.

Its not the easiest of cases to work with due to the size limits and my large hands lol. I was dissapointed with a few things too....

1. Corsair should have made the HDD bays hot swappable by adding a PCB in the drive cages. Most would gladly pay a little extra for that feature.

2. There is hardly any room to route the CPU 12v cable in the back part of the case. Luckily the RM850's power cables are flat so it was easy to sandwich the cable between the 3.5" drive bay and the back of the motherboard tray.

3. The sides are metal but the top and bottom are plastic! Why Corsair?

4. It would have been nice if the whole front of the case was held on by magnets or something to make front intake cleaning easy.

5. The side windows perspex isn't very clear and makes looking inside all blurry.

Minor niggles aside I'm happy with it and reccomend for a Matx build :thumb:

17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

ditto. I'm actively considering the 540 (as I have an ATX board) in white. Looks shiny :D

18. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

You've a nice build there mate!

19. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Mostly agreeing with pooks, I switched to a white 240 a couple of months ago for my main rig, the finished build looks superb but was very fiddly due to the cramped nature in the case, you really need to think about keeping things tidy in there I thought I could just build my system with stock components and AIO coolers but ended up having to do one or two hacks. As such the new rig has been named 'The Pig'. In particular I found fitting any non-stock components very difficult, my MSI 970 GTX did not fit because of the frozr heatpipes, nor can you fit 2 120mm radiators behind the front panel as standard. Although you can fit a single 240mm radiator, 2 120mm radiators are slightly wider and not fit without a hack. Basically adding a couple of extra CM to height and width would have prevented this. I have installed 2 H75 AIOs into the front, but this was only possible by either switching one 2 to pull only config or what I ended up doing, making an extension by gutting a 120mm fan and finding really long screws. This allows the radiators to be offset and fit slightly overlapping, with the extension I also had to shave the edges off my exhaust fans.

This is exactly what I thought, but I thought the drive bays were at least hackable, so I bought a corsair 900D hot swap accessory kit and was prepped to hack. At the minute I am just using the included cable, but it probably is possible to measure up and cut the back plate to attach to the drive cage in the 240. Provisos that are stopping me from bothering are 1. the way my cables are routed in the back make the bay a tight fit already, also I would have make sure the screw heads attaching were very flush 2. the drive bay and trays are actually very flimsy and may not be suitable to hot swapping, 3. when cutting and fitting it is important to bear in mind that if all three drives are installed in fact they only fit in the cage one way up, I forget which, but measuring up the wrong way round will mean it has to be done again or scrapped.

I may stick some photos of the pig up later if you want to see.

20. Pookie

I forgot to add the specs...
    ASUS Gene-Z /Gen 3 (Z68?)
    I7 2600k @ stock for now
    16GB Corsair LP Vengeance 1.35v @ XMP 16000mhz
    120 GB Force GT for OS
    2TB WD Green for Movies
    WD 640GB Black for Steam
    WD 640GB Blue for Docs and pics etc
    Sapphire 290X
    Corsair RM850 PSU