1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft tells employees new Xbox won't require constant connection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 6 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Do you not sleep/have time off work?

Also looks like a good move, always online is a pita

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Meh, not fussed either way. Broadband round here has got to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, unless on release day you cant turn it on because everyone else is trying to as well surprisingly :p

4. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

If you read the initial document that caused all the fuss it never read like it was going to be "always on" in the sense that it has to be connected to the internet. It actually read more like it would be "always on" in the sense that it will be sat there in a standby mode where it can download updates etc when it's "switched off".

5. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

"Remember guys, your passwords expire after 30 days and need to meet the required complexity..." <- the email you never see at work.

"Don't forget guys, our always online console should work offline too!" <-supposed memo... ;) ;) ;)

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Even if MS decide to say that you don't need a constant internet connection to use the console it is still up to the game developers, Ubisoft and EA are already moving that way more and more.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing not based in the UK... ;-)

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It might still work in a similar fashion to Steam, with games being locked to your ID on first play, with an internet connection required to activate, which can then operate in an offline mode.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

That's what switchable power strips are for, let's see it do anything without power :D

The OFF switch should turn a device off. Not Standby, not sleep, not deep sleep, just off.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Thats what i think as well Cei, It would give gamers what they want an offline mode but it would also give publishers what they want reducing the 2nd hand games market.

Most EA games require a permanent internet connection to play on console either way if you want the full experience. Ubisoft are heading that direction with some of the features of there games. You can still play all games that EA makes but you lose a few things by not been online. ( Fifa ultimate team for example )

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We are, like inspector Gadget, always on duty.

12. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Wowzers! Loved that show.

I too dislike any always online, phone home, or subscription based games/software. Tomorrow, in a month, or in ten years, I want to be able to play the game I spent my money on. Just as I can still play my NES and Megadrive/Genesis games from 20+ years ago. Though I still won't get one it's a good move they changed course.

Tags: Add Tags