1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple releases Macbook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 16 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

looks nice - but christ they would sell more if they wern't such a total rippoff

3. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I have to admit that while the price of everyone elses machines is going down apples is going up. You could probably spec a dell machine the same as that top black apple model for about 60-70% of the price.

It's going to miss dedicated graphics as well i felt that was something that the apple machines had going for them other than the operating system.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Glad they've all got Core Duos. Using integrated graphics... well, as long as it works (I'm assuming OSX is 3d hardware accelerated as Vista will be, going by how smooth it is). I'm very happy with my Macbook Pro... it could have been cheaper, but I didn't pay for it (early graduation present) and as far as I'm concerned, it's still worth it, seeing that OSX actually works properly.
    Plus Magsafe... that should have been standard on all laptops about ten years ago. About time.

edit - also, regarding price, you'll be hard pressed to find a Dell that works as well or has the build quality of most Apple products, and I'd imagine finding something in that price range with the remote and iSight camera would be a bit tough.

5. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

edit:you know what..nah.

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

7. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Aw I was not looking forward to this day. My Powerbook with its 1.5GHz PowerPC CPU is looking distinctly old and rubbish in comparison with these new MacBooks. They are beautiful, too.

I don't think you can say the price has gone up significantly though - The cheapest one is £50 more than the cheapest iBook, and it's probably twice as powerful, as well as having a (slightly) bigger widescreen screen and all sorts of other gubbins (Audio in, magsafe, miniDVI etc). And I know it's a bit of a cliché that Apple owners say, but the whole Apple package makes this laptop worth lots more than the off-the-peg Dells.

8. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I was going to gripe about the price but then I spec'ed an HP Pavilon with similar specs and it came up equal in price before I was half-way through. I have not referenced Dell, but I would imagine it is all farely similar across the board.

Still getting a SLI notebook though. :rock:

(Guess Windows is the price I pay for gaming.)

9. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

Eww intel extreme graphics...

10. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

1920x1200 external support seems mighty impressive - but I hear that GMA950 can't even do full size HD video.

11. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

Something we will have to hold judgement on is the build quality of the macbooks. I'll admit the Pro's are well built machines but i doubt as much goes into the vanilla versions as the Pro versions. It's a bit like comparing the dell inspiron and latitude laptop range. The latitude laptops are considerably sturdier and better built but you pay more for it.

12. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Exploding batteries and icecream scoops of thermal paste is not my definition of build quality.

13. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Arg, really... Integrated graphics in a greater than entry level mac? What the heck is apple thinking!

Apple has made this a portable equivalant of the Mac mini instead of the iMac, which acutally has PUNCH. Oh what rubbish.

Looks ****ing awsome though. Its like the ditzy pretty girls you'd see in high school. Great looks, sexy as anything, but no Brains. I'll take the MacBook Pro thankyou after I've used up this cute little 12 inch PowerBook of mine.

They'd better make a smaller version of the MacBook Pro :mad:

14. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

I think this is a pretty good release and im considering one! Graphics are a slight let down but theyve gotta differentiate between this and the pro right?

Great features on this thing, I have a feeling they are well on to a good all rounder system here that will be mighty popular!

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The Macbooks (and previously the iBook) aren't Apple's entry level notebooks?

I do wonder how the batteries hold up, though. Mind you, the 3.5-4hrs I'm getting on my MBP is keeping me pretty content, even if the old advertised 5+ in the 12" iBook would have been nice.

16. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

QFT

£130 for black and 20gb space

what a rip

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The MacBook is not meant to be a gamer's rig so stop complaining that it is not. It is meant to be a small, untraportable, practical office productivity laptop. What it has on board in terms of graphics is enough for that purpose. I also suspect that its diminuitive size is going to make it popular, and its uncomplicated shape is going to appeal to technophobes. Its construction will probably be second-to-none: one-piece polycarbonate housing with rounded corners. The only thing I wonder about is battery life... Either way, it knocks the socks of the UMPC...

18. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Ok, ok. YES. They are the entry level notebook of the Apple family. BUT... Apple has usually put at least a Radeon or GeForce in these puppies. Am I right in that the Radeon 9550 packs more punch than a Intel Extreme integrated graphics chip?

What I'm saying, like how the iBook was comperable to the iMac, now the MacBook is more comperable to a Mac mini, which is a VERY entry level product, as it uses the same media chip. You understand?

19. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

You hear wrong / hear what you want to hear.

The iBook has G4 processors and a Radeon 9200. The Mini had G4 processors and a Radeon 9200. The iMac had G5 processors and a x600...

20. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

uh... Thats the previous generation of hardware, but yah, you are right. The last iBook had a Radeon 9550 though.

My point. REALLY my point. Apple shouldn't be using Integrated graphics. THERE. :p

Tags: Add Tags