1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Synology NAS & video streaming

Discussion in 'Software' started by hairyknacker, 13 Jul 2014.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

I thought I would try you kind, clever lot with this one.
    Just got a new Synology DS214play NAS to put my large collection of iTunes movie& tv shows so I can stream to my ipad without the need for the pc to be on the whole time.
    Trouble is, I can't get anything to work- I have moved all the files to the network drive, movies in shared movies folder, TV in shared tv folder but the video folder on ipad does not see the nas. If I try the Synology Video thing, it does not play the iTunes files

Any ideas as I am getting a bit fed up with this:miffed::wallbash:

2. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

By no means am I an expert but a couple of things thing that did catch me out with mine were :

• I found that until I put the files in the correctly named directories the files were not visible by the apps until I used the default named directories for the corresponding files i.e. photo etc Quote from webpage : When you enable the Synology Media Server on your NAS, there are 3 directories added to your file-system (video, music and photo) which will be used for the DLNA/UPnP media server to play the corresponding files.
    • Make the user you are logged on as has the permissions to see / use the particualr apps / files (each user has permissions)
    • If you switch the NASes own firewall on then you have authorise each service to get through the firewall.

I guess quick and dirty way to test this is :

use admin and make sure admin has all permissions
    Switch off the firewall
    put a few test files in the pre-existing directories on the nas of the correspinding name

test ....

Good luck.

Chunks

3. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

If they are iTunes movies, presumably they are DRM'd. In which case, you won't be able to play them with Media Server.

Would running iTunes server help? I don't use it, so not dire whether it will stream stuff.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

iPad video app is useless. Use DS Video app from Synology:

On the NAS, first update to latest DSM firmware. Then download Video Station app from package centre. Ensure media library is correctly configured in both Settings and Video Station. Finally ensure user permissions are setup correctly.

As mentioned, Digital Rights Management (DRM) might prevent you from realising your ideal setup. Unfortunately there is no way around it. NAS are file storage, its additional capabilities are built upon openness. Content distributers all want to retain control of their content by either only allow you to stream or use out-of-date desktop apps with DRM (iTunes, BBC iPlayer).

Also remember there is a distinction between iTunes server and Apple's Homeshare. The former is very old and offered by many NAS as a feature. The latter is the newest method and used by iPad video and music app. Most likely you were using Homeshare while streaming from your desktop, because it is Apple's sanctioned method since iOS 5-ish.

5. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

I think that it is the DRM that is the killer
    I have seen various DRM removal software and wondered if a). they are legal, and 2). if so what is the best one to use.- quite happy to pay for something as my library is very large and the cost would be recouped quite quickly I would think with the NAS running rather than the pc

6. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

No, it's not simply the DRM, though that will also be a factor. The iPad won't talk to the Synology as is. This is an Apple product, remember? No interoperativity except on Apple's terms.

And I'm not sure what a good DLNA DMP (i.e. a DLNA target device) app would be for iOS. There are several around, it's just that I've never used any of them. You do have several options though for proprietary streaming... the problem point would be that most of the server software for such apps would run on either the PC or a Mac, but not on a Linux appliance.

There are further options if you jailbreak your iPad, but at this point you should rightly be staring at a clump of your hair in your hand and saying "Jesus F Christ, if I was going to go through this many hoops I would have bought a Windows / Android tablet".

Your best option since you've tied yourself into the Apple ecosystem is to stick to the Apple Way. Your purchases will show up in the Apple cloud, and you should be able to access them on your iOS devices but you will need to download them onto the device if you want to keep it there.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2014
  7. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I use a free app called airplay to stream to my ipad.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Have you tried PLEX? It worked fine for us streaming from NAS to Apple devices. We didn't try any DRM protected content, though.

9. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yes , i use plex it's very good, but I believe it won't work on that server(this may have changed though). Also you need to pay a few pounds per device.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

This is an old thread. Not considering DRM issues:

Free 1: install Video Station app on the NAS, then install DS Video on your iOS. Problem solved.

Free 2: use DLNA, Media server app on the NAS, any iOS DLNA app there are a lot of them, just search DLNA.

Easiest but cost few quid: http://firecore.com/infuse

Jailbreaking doesn't solve anything here, this isn't a problem of Apple ecosystem, it's simply not finding the right app(s) for the job. Thanks for your misleading post seapanda.

11. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Plex does seem to work but only with DRM free files- in process of converting all files to DRM free but taking an age!!

12. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Does the premium version of infuse stream mkv and mp4v files cos if it does I will purchase it as I'm running huge issues trying to convert my huge iTunes library to mp4 ie removing drm- takes far too long and hit and miss
    Just seen FAQ on the forum and it doesn't stream drm files
    Dang

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014