1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Phenom II X6 1055T OR X4 Black Editions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyper_somniac, 1 May 2010.

1. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a new CPU with somewhat of a low budget, so it seems the new Phenom X6 1055T at around £165 is a good buy, but then the stock speed is lower than the X4 955/965 black editions which go for £125 an £145. So which should I get?

Being able to overclock easily is a bonus, is the 1055T limited just because it doesn't have an unlocked clock multiplier?

Or should just get the X6 1090T?!

Common tasks:
    - Photoshop
    - Handbrake
    - Skype video calls
    - Light gaming

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Here's the way to look at it...Do you need the extra speed that the 1090T gives or would you be happy with the 1055T and overclocking it to bring it up to and beyond the 1090T's stock speed and saving a few quid as well.The 1090T really is for performance junkies..Looking at it from my own personal view I don't need the 1090T or the 1055T for that matter, my current rig does exactly what I need it to do but that wont stop me from buying it for the very simple reason I want it..That load of waffle probably has'nt helped you at all has it?...But put simply for what you want it for more cores are better and a bit of extra clock speed wont do any harm either. So unless you're going for a big overclock the 1055T will probably do just fine.

3. bulldogjeff

I'm assuming from you're post that you are running an AMD rig,as you did'nt say and I did'nt ask and the other thing is make sure the mobo you've got has got the correct bios update to enable it to take the new hex core CPU's, some boards are not supported yet and some won't be

4. hyper_somniac

I'll be getting a new mobo with 890gx chipset. my system currently is so old its using the original AM2 socket.
    So 1090T is not really worth it, but do you think the 1055T at 2.8Ghz is worth the extra over 965 BE at 3.4Ghz?

5. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Well you could quite easily overclock the 1055T up to 1090T speeds, and for image editing etc it will easily come in handy those extra 2 cores. So for your needs the 1055T over the X4.

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

If you're getting a new mobo anyways have you considered an i5 setup?

7. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't the I5 be worse for his productivity stuff, aka photoshop?

8. bulldogjeff

If you are getting a new board you're obviously getting new ram, so basically a new rig which really does leave you're options open.If you are trying to save a few quid look at 1 of the asus boards that'll run ddr2 that way you can use the stuff in the current set up. And thats probably just confused things even more

9. hyper_somniac

Arent the X6 closer competitors to the lower end i7s?

Actually, I was already thinking of keeping the 4GB DDR2 in my current system, until that starts to become a bottleneck or DDR3 comes down in price.

10. numanoid

numanoid Modder

What would the 6 core cpu's be like for gaming. I heard that the more cores the worse for gaming. IE dual cores are better for gaming......True or untrue.
    Thanks
    take care.

11. bulldogjeff

The only reason dual cores are better for gaming is they can some times be overclocked to higher speeds and 90% of games cant take advantage of more cores let alone hyperthreading. A fast quad or hex core wont be any better or worse at gamimg but if you are into a bit of editing it'll crap all over a dual core, which is where more cores and hyperthreading really come into their own

Last edited: 2 May 2010
  12. bulldogjeff

If thats the case you should be looking at some thing like the asus m4 78 range that'll take ddr2 and some of the gigabyte boards both, they are decent overclockers

13. hyper_somniac

Crap, I overlooked that AM3 mobos dont take DDR2, so I think I'll be getting new DDR3 ram as well, rather than spend £75 on a mobo that i'll probably replace within a year. Annoyed at having to spend £100 to have the same 4Gb of RAM I have now, although it will be twice the speed.

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

If you're buying a whole setup from new, you'll likely get much better value from an i5 system. If you had an AM2+ or AM3 mobo already, fair enough. But you don't.

15. joco2_uk

joco2_uk What's a Dremel?

How much of a difference of overclock does anyone think they could get with either x6, if any??

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Well considering the stock speed is quite low I'd expect a decent performance increase, I'd say go for the black edition, do some overclocking and tell us how it works out :)

EDIT: On second thoughts the black edition is over the price of an i7 which would provide 8 threads, if your willing to spend that much on a CPU go for the i7, the Phenom will save you money if not

Last edited: 3 May 2010
  17. hyper_somniac

Reviews are indicating stable speeds of 3.8 to 4.1GHz on air cooling for the black edition (from 3.2GHz), and thats before the turbo thing kicks in.

18. bulldogjeff

Once you start overclocking the turbo mode has to be disabled

19. hyper_somniac

I've worked out an X6 system (CPU, mobo + RAM) would be around £370 and and i5 system at a base price of £320 with a lower/mid range mobo.
    But from reviews, I gather that the X6 are slightly above the i5s, especially on multi-threaded performance and the mobos with the 890GX chipset have more features - SATA 6, USB3.
    Plus I'm rather biased towards AMD (supporting the underdog...), I was gonna get an i5 system before the X6 came out, but after that I quickly jumped back to wanting an AMD, after waiting so long for AMD to come up with something more competitive.

20. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

If the options are between a Phenom x4, x6 and a Core i5 then go with the X6. Even the Phenom x4 does a bit better then the i5 sence 2 of the i5's core are not physical. The added perfomance with the low price tag makes it a good buy in my books.

Also I would have to take it that you have no intrest in an Nvidia Video card (if you were able to get one).

Tags: