1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sony VPL-HW15 Projector Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

A projector is on the WANT list when I sell my 42" LCD, that's for sure.

3. wormy

wormy Minimodder

there's a USA based review site, projectorreviews.com, that seems to do very detailed reviews and which I used to base my decision to buy a Sanyo Z700. The Sonys always get a good write up anywhere though so, if you can afford it and house the beast, like the bit-tech review says, I expect you'll be well pleased with the Sony.

Full HD pjs start at a shade under £1k sterling now, but a DLP for that price is likely to suffer from potential rainbow effect. I would certainly recommend auditioning if you can, as unlike pcs, audio-visual stuff can be much more of a subjective experience

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Projector >> TV for film watching. I have an Infocus IN76 set up for movies hooked up to a entry level sony av amp and panasonic BD player and omg its awesome. It may only be 720p but its still very sharp despite being 103" (onto a plain white flat wall). I have a 42" panasonic plasma which is great for TV viewing but i would never watch a movie on it again now.

5. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Thanks DirtyH, fixed now.

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

A projector really is a wonderful thing. Both for movies and for thoose beer drinking guitar hero playing saturdays :) I have a mitsubichi HC 5500 sooting on a Kingpin 16:9 131 inch framed screen and its freaking awesome :)

8. wormy

wormy Minimodder

Sprad, sounds nice :) but you gotta get a screen! ;) Seriously, it makes a real difference.

Wolverine, I hear that the Mitsubishis are very good pieces of kit. That's a big screen! :jawdrop:

9. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

It would be amazing to have six of them witn this graphic card :ati-radeon-hd-5870-eyefinity-6. But you would need one hel of a big wall.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

How do these projectors stand up with regards to day time viewing?

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

less than that, got my optoma hd200x for £800

badly :p
    you want it to be as dark as possible when watching stuff

but 100" screen is just awesome :D

12. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Good review guys. One thing I would say is that it did seem a bit copy and paste from the magazine, like when referencing the other projectors. Would be nice if it was a bit more rounded and adapted for the site - maybe you could've included the Panasonic as well since it was 2nd place?

@Schizo I think the Sony really needs a dark room, however some of the other projectors in the magazine didn't suffer so much in light. I think the Panasonic one they mentioned in this review was ok, but I'll have to dig out my magazine to check on it. Either way, you're better off making it dark and making sure there's no light shining directly onto the surface you're projecting on - if glare from the sun messes with regular screens you won't stand a chance with any projector!

13. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

6 of these coupled with eyefinity and you got yourself a nice Cinema sized gaming rig!

14. JAMF

JAMF What's a Dremel?

I'd be happy with 3 or 4 side-by-side in portrait or 4 in a 2x2 setup.

3 gives a 1.688 ratio, 2x2 gives 1.778 and the 4 in portrait a 2.25 ratio. Four screens will still give you 8.29MP

If anyone knows of a dual mirror setup that mounts the front of the lens to get a portrait mode, which one can buy, please share. :) Projectors aren't made for standing them on their side. :D

15. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I haven't read the full review in detail, but does it mention bulb cost? It's always been my reason not to go near a projector (50" Samsung in the main room) as tehy tend to cost a few hundred quid? Correct if wrong!

16. jrr

jrr What's a Dremel?

I, for one, vote for more projector reviews! You guys seem pretty good at it, and I'll be looking for a new one in a year or two.

17. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Every Pj review should include the cost of a replacement bulb; and bulb life expectancy at the different brightness levels. If the Pj is great price, and the bulb only lasts a year and costs 1/4 of the price of the Pj, that should be something noted on the review.

But other than that, It did make hit up a couple sites to check prices and availability.

Replacement lamps are US$295 at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LMP-H201-200W-replacement-lamp/dp/B001HG5Y84

Last edited: 3 May 2010
  18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

For that much I would go for a really nice LED LCD screen, Im done with the whole replacing of the bulbs, however if I ever get around to building a dedicated theater room then I will go for a nice projector but until then I would use that 3k US for a really nice LED LCD TV instead.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

If you choose to use digital keystone correction you may as well stick with 720p for half the money.

As for the Sony beeing entry-level HD...I disagree. Sony VPL-HW15 (2000euro Bulb 260euro)
    Entry level Full-HD is around half that.

DLP ACER H7530D Full-HD (950euro, Bulb <150euro)
    Costs lesss than half that of the Sony, and is incredibly bright for daytime use.
    Many people claim not to see the "Rainbow" effekt with this one. It was horrible for me, so I sent it back.

LCD EPSON EH-TW2900 Full-HD (1150euro Bulb 270euro) or EH-TW3500 Full HD (1300euro)
    Giant case (3 LCD system), but very quiet, excellent lens shift and zoom.

And there's a handfull more.

I use it to project onto a 2,8m (110") screen, sitting about 4 Meters away and it just blows my socks off :D

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Enty Level Continued:

DLP Optoma HD200x (800euro)
    is pretty much identical to the ACER, but has a 2x higher switch in colours, reducing the Rainboweffect. Saw it live in a shop, and I didn't notice the rainboweffect, then again Full-HD they only had a "Tinkerbell" demo, which didn't have any strong contrasts.
    Television (PAL) had no visible rainbow effect, but that rus at 50/i and not 24p.

DLP BenQ W1000 (900euro)
    haven't tested this one

LCD Sanyo PLV-Z700 (1300euro)
    Heared a lot of good about this one, but never saw it in action.

Tags: Add Tags