1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards New 990FX Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .//TuNdRa, 2 Jun 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Now all of you who have lurked around may know that I've been having a few "Teething issues" with my current UD3; Namely. the whole friggin' thing refuses to work in SLI because something's wrong with the second PCI-E 16x socket.

Now the question is; With the other issues i've been having with the board (NB running hotter than Satan's fiery butthole, Bios update issues, other small odds and ends), what would be a good upgrade? I'm leaning towards the Asus Crosshair V (Sans the Thunderbolt card. I'm forced to use WiFi and i've got a Xonar DX, kthx.), but i'd be curious to see if anyone else had any suggestions? Preferably not any of the Gigabyte boards, because those things all have some hideously nasty vdroop (Especially the UD7), but i'm still open to options.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I haven't used it but the Sabretooth looks tasty and isn't super pricey.

If a new motherboard doesn't sort your problems I think you should do a bulldozer "will it blend?" special.

fuus likes this.
  3. .//TuNdRa

Sadly I don't have the disposable income to switch to Intel. Plus I'd have to find the spare mounting hardware for my Archon, which is in here... Somewhere? I think?

I've pretty much nailed it down to the motherboard, anyway. Different memory and GPu didn't solve it, still had the same stuttering in the second PCI-E socket as before, so It looks like it's just borked. (Long story short; This mobo has an issue with the second PCI-E 16x socket where the GPU seems to lock up and stutter. A pain in the ass when it's a single GPU, Insta-death in SLI, because the driver can't recover when the second GPU just can't keep in time, so the system fails almost at startup because of it.)

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

+rep, please please please do this

5. .//TuNdRa

See above. If someone would give me the money needed to get a BlendTec Blender and a spare chip; I'd do it. But otherwise; No.

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm a big fan of the crosshairs. I've had a 1, 2 and 4 over my time. The 2 and 4 are still going strong in various support rigs currently. I think the 5 would be a sound investment.

Just out of interest; have you tried your FX8120 out in widows 8? I recall AMD bleating on about how 8 was going to manage the cores more efficiently and would see significant performance gains. I do not recall where i read that though.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

8. rnealj62

rnealj62 What's a Dremel?

I am running a Crosshair V Formula MB and it is really good. I have had no problems with it at all. I am running an FX8150 at 4.4ghz on air right now and will soon be water coooling and try to get 5ghz out of it. very easy board to OC. If you are going to OC on air you better have a good case for air flow. I am using Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow edition, this case has great air flow.

9. .//TuNdRa

Raven RV02. Way ahead of you there. 110CFM Air Penetrators aren't to be laughed at.

So the general consensus is that the Crossair V is worth it, then? I had suspected such, but I figured that it never hurt to check, just in case there were any issues with it that I hadn't heard about beforehand.

And for reference; No. I've not given Windows 8 a spin. I've not enough space on my SSD to fit two operating systems, and the Metro UI will make me commit suicide by the end of the month if I were to start using it exclusively.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2012
  10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

You won't regret getting a Crosshair V Tundra, I've waited a couple of months to buy it but when I finnaly got it I wasn't dissapointed!
    I got a better overclock on my phenom II with, more stability and alot of extra things to tweak at.
    Oh and it looks awesome!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

WAIT to see what's up on Computex this week.

12. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Sorry Bindi, but your a bit late!

13. .//TuNdRa

I suppose I could cancel my order, but I need a new board ASAP, this current one is starting to go, and I don't want to be without a PC for a week plus while I try and get scan to find an issue with it. I'm not even 100% sure if it's just the motherboard, but this is the easiest way to test.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's the current version.

There might be some updated AMD boards this week.

:rock:

If you need one ASAP then these won't be for you :p Get the existing C5F and it'll still be supported.

15. .//TuNdRa

I just hope it comes updated enough out of the box. Although I suppose I could try USB flashback. That is enabled out of the box, right?

16. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Yes it should be enabled right from the start. Did you get it yet?

17. .//TuNdRa

Nope. I ordered it yesterday, so I've got to sit through three days of bank-holiday before Scan will dispatch it.

I'm asking in advance to know if I need to scrounge up a Phenom II chip, though. Because if the bios isn't updated; it won't even boot with my FX 8120 in there.

18. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It should do; these boards were made to be released along side Bulldozer weren't they? It would be pretty odd if the launch bios doesn't support the chips they were made for.

I know the boards did arrive earlier than the chips, but that was due to AMD holding the chips back due to issues.

19. .//TuNdRa

Hence I wound up RMAing my UD3 soon after I got it because it didn't work. Also; I didn't have the parts to be able to flash updated bios onto it here, so that was another £30 just to get the PC to start.

20. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

That was somewhat short-sighted by the manufacturer there.

I know the newer ASUS boards will allow you to flash the BIOS without the need of even an installed cpu, which is a genius idea, but I think the Crosshair 5 was out just before that feature was released.