1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Don’t be fooled by Laptop CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup, laptop processors (GPU and CPU) are far behind the performance of a desktop version. The model name just says the architecture. Although, sometimes (mostly GPUs) they are exceptions in that you get a previous generation architecture with the name of the current desktop architecture.

The big reason for the slow down, is the requirement that is needed to be done on the CPU to consume drastically less power, and reduce heat.

Another effect, is the OEM butchering, specially on the GPU side.
    Many time OEMs uses older memory (DDR2 instead of DDR3 for example), and/or much slower memory than what the GPU is suppose to have. And also, many times they slow down the GPU.
    They do this for a several reason: Keep cost down by using memory chips they already have, so that they don't get thrown away, and as for the GPU down-clock, reduce heat, or increase battery life, without actually upgrading the battery to something better, to again reduce cost (or maximize profit).

It is critical to check reviews on laptop, making sure you get what you are suppose to get.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am interested in benchmarking my Laptop against my PC... What benchmark suite would you recommend to not only test the CPU, but the GPU and then the whole system together? PCMark 8?

4. AiA

AiA Minimodder

well custompc have there own that you can use
    i think it does quiet a few things
    and then you can use something like x3: demo for the graphics side

i think this is an old benchmark
    http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/10/26/download-the-custompc-media-benchmarks-here/
    so they might have updated it since then

5. SchizoFrog

I sure hope it's been updated, that download is dated 2007. lol
    Thanks any way for the info, I'll wait to see what B-T suggest.

6. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Smaller PC's will be the norm. Just look at the PC's on sale in Currys. Those Acer have small footprint. The only problem is I want to build a good gaming pc with a HTPC, in a case smaller than the BitFenix Prodigy, which seems impossible with off the shelf item. Something as big as the Alienware X51.

The only method I see is the use of AMD APU, A10 processor. Then you can sort of ditch the graphic card and put it in a very small case.

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I didn't realise they were quite that bad. I thought the i7 was still pretty nippy because it has hyperthreading, so performs well compared to desktop i3 and i5 parts. Apparently not!

Interesting, considering that geekbench shows i7 macs powering ahead of anything except i7 or above desktop machines. Then again, we've all known that's a totally inaccurate benchmark for a while...

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

It is the same benchmark suite used in 2007. It's a real-world benchmark though, so it's still perfectly valid. It's actually the most accurate set of benchmarks I've used, and I've tried most of them at one time or another.

Sorry for double post!

9. SchizoFrog

OK, cheers Yslen...

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

This also affects all-in-ones and some SFF PCs [also the non-'pro' Macs, though apple don't cut as many corners] as they use laptop and/or the ultra low-voltage parts to keep temperatures and the need for fans to a minimum...

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Any gamer could tell you this, NEVER EVER game on a laptop.

It will be a horrible experience, period.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

considering the performance you can get on a laptop these days if your willing to spend the cash its easily possible to get desktop level of performance.

sli 680m with top end intel cpu is faster than 90% of the people on here probably have.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Also costs about £3000 but thats not the point you can get a good experience if you can afford it.

14. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol @ FX8150

I know that wasn't the point of this article, but......

15. SchizoFrog

Rollo, I think you completely missed the point of this article. It wasn't comparing GPUs as it says CPU in the title and compares the difference between mobile and desktop products and how misleading they can be.

As for Star*Dagger, are you a dick on every article or just having a bad day?

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If you don't need a laptop for mobile computing, then a mITX-system will allways be the better choice.

17. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Guy at work chucked £1500 at an i7 Medion Gaming laptop with a 670MX His intent was to use it at home for ReconstructME which uses a Kinekt type camera to map 3D objects in space:

http://reconstructme.net/

He was bitterly disappointed with the performance. I did tell him i could spec+ Build a comparable computer that would do a better job for 1/3rd of the price but he was seduced by the marketing : (

18. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Laptops, especially the stuff coming out from Lenovo in the $800-$900 price range can make great mobile gaming rigs compared to a similar priced desktop. Sometimes you just need everything built in, but of course that will never get you the full computing experience as having a dedicated box with endless peripherals.

19. SchizoFrog

Even if laptops can provide a good gaming experience you still have the issue though that they are not comparable to desktop components. Unless you NEED mobility, a small PC is definitely the way to go. Not to mention the fact that I and many others HATE using a laptop's keyboard.

20. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi SchizoFrog. As Yslen mentioned, our benchmark is a few years old but still scales well with faster hardware and uses real-world image editing and video editing programs, not synthetic tests, so you can definitely trust it!

Tags: Add Tags