1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PC not powering on properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bagman, 30 Jan 2010.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

hi guys i have a problem with my rig it isn't powering on properly i presss the power botton and all that happens is the fans start spining up and nothing, i think that the board or the psu could be broken as it isn't recieving enough power i don't think as none of the fan headers work but when i turn off the pump and then power on the cpu does get hot so what is wrong my cpu and mobo is water cooled and i have recently installed the mobo water blocks so can you guys help find the source of the problem?

i think it is either the mobo or psu or cpu i have checked the ram, hdd, and gpu can't check anything else,i have resert cmos taken out the batterey replaced it with a new one the problem has started ever since i put on my new mobo water blocks did i short something?

thanks morgan

2. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Have you striped back to bare minimum and tried firing it up with only CPU, RAM and GFX?

Also, have you tried the mobo only to see if you're getting any BIOS beeps?

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

no i have not stripped it down to the minimum as that would mean i would have to take out all the liqiud and take of the water blocks take everything out of my case and so on everything gets complicated with water cooling

and what do you mean by quote:"have you tried the mobo only to see if you're getting any BIOS beeps?"

4. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Apologies for being a bit vague.
    I guess if I'd exhausted all possibilites, I'd be stripping it right back to basics and trouble shooting from there, although, I appreciate it's nightmare taking all those water blocks off.

What I meant was, if you plug just the mobo into the PSU and fire it up, surely you should be able to get some BIOS Beeps, or an error code (Not familiar with you mobo) to state no CPU, or No RAM, no GFX etc etc.

If you did get error codes or beeps, it would kind of prove that the mobo is functioning. EDIT: ....to some extent.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2010
  5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i can do that with relate ease will try that out now

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i just took out the hdd ram and gpu and i got the exactlly same reaction as i had before do you want me to take out the cpu as well or can you draw out a conclusion from that

7. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Looking a bit ominous.
    A betting man would put his money on a shot PSU, possibly mobo. Without additional components to test, I think you're a bit screwed. Don't know what else to suggest :confused:

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i think it is mobo persnally it seems to be doing stuff it usually dosn't which sucks as i just spent £50 on it for the new water blocks i might as well save up for a i5 build or something

i5 750 gigabyte ud2 and ddr3 4gb or something looks like

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

How long do you wait after powering on before you "give up"? The reason I ask is that my new comp takes about 25 seconds from the time I power on until graphics card initialization and then POST starts.

Also, did the system work before or has it never been working in its current incarnation?

Incidentally, we seem to have more or less the same mobo. Mine's the non-SE version. First time I assembled my system it wouldn't power on either. Much later I found out that the memory remapping feature was enabled as default in the BIOS revision just prior to the one my board was "born with". Said feature turned out not to work with 4GB ECC memory. Guess what I was using... :)

Which brings me to my final question. Which BIOS version are you using? The latest one is 1403. Just for kicks you might want to try to boot with just one module inserted.

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i think it has the latest version and i have tryed the one modual thing

and my board did work before i put the water blocks on and i have powered the system on there just sitting there looking at my pc willing it to work but nothing seems to work so yes i have waited longer than 25 seconds

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Ok... Just thought I'd put it out there... :)

Since you have the SE version, did you use the water cooling features or did you completely replace the cooling section(s)?

(Also, just out of interest: Did your system also take as long as mine does before POSTing, when it was still running?)

12. bagman

bagman Minimodder

the mobo is completley water cooled the se version water block was rubish tbh

and i think so for your second answer

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm... No idea how to help you tbh. I'm afraid I also believe the mobo is a goner. Either that or the CPU. I'm reasonably confident that the PSU probably isn't at fault. There's no chance you could get your hand on some spare parts to test with? First and foremost some kind of socket 775 CPU.

Thanks for answering my question, btw. :)

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm... No idea how to help you tbh. I'm afraid I also believe the mobo is a goner. Either that or the CPU. I'm reasonably confident that the PSU probably isn't at fault. There's no chance you could get your hand on some spare parts to test with? First and foremost some kind of socket 775 CPU.

Thanks for answering my question, btw. :)

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

thanks any way azrael du jode mucket bra

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, if I get any kind of zany idea I'll let you know...

Nice attempt at Swedish btw. :p

17. bagman

bagman Minimodder

yeah i can't type to well in swedish but i can speak it flunently as i am bilingle

but i can't understand a thing the danish say so strange and different to swedish