1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help.. Pc won't boot :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WiryRocketeer, 6 Feb 2013.

1. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Hi,

Today my pc wouldn't turn on, well, the lights etc turn on, the power supply fan & graphics card etc are spinning (fans). However the keyboard and any other usb devices don't light up. The computer doesn't turn off after so long, it just stays on forever. Nothing displays on the monitor, not even boot / post screen.

I've resat the cmos battery and checked / replugged all connections. My instant gut feeling is that it is something to do with the fact that I was gaming when it happened and a blue screen came on (BSOD) and then it turned off, i smelt a slight burning so i quickly rushed to turn the power off & check if I could see anything.. Which I couldn't. I have checked the cpu for bent pins which I could not find any and I have checked the motherboard for blown capacitors. The motherboard does however still light up with the OC genie functions, so my gut instinct is the cpu, but I may be wrong which is why I am asking for some help. I have tried different ram and in different slots but this has not worked either. Basically it turns on, all the lights etc. but no power from usb's and no display / output from graphics card. HELP!? The processor was overclocked to 4Ghz / 1.36Vcore, But I have never had any issues with it before.

Adamski likes this.
  2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Can you plug your monitor into the motherboard? Remove the graphics card completely

3. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

If its the system in your sig can you tell me if the watercooling pump is still functional when you turn on the computer?

Do you watercool your graphics card too or just the cpu.

Not 100% sure on this but I would have though the cpu would have underclocked if it was overheating, however if the water cooling stopped then the instant increase in heat could have fried it.

Sounds silly but have you taken the chip out and smelled it or any other part of the computer? :)

Burnt circuitry has a smell all of its own. :)

Other options would be to try the components in a friends computer, if its an option, or to try with nothing but motherboard+cpu+memory and see wat happens. A speaker connected to the motherboard may also help with post beeps. Ignore the last one if you already have a speaker connected.

Just some random ramblings, but hopefully slightly helpful. :)

Anywho good luck.

4. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Thanks for the help so far guys...

My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics so this unfortunately isn't an option
    I'm not aware of any speaker that came with my motherboard
    I have smelt my cpu / checked it and nothing out of the blue.
    And yep its the spec in my sig but clocked at 4GHz.
    Everything connected straight to the power supply still functions including the pump when I try to boot. I've plugged a fan directly into the motherboard too, that works, just the usb's at the rear / front do not. Checked all cables again etc. I'll try taking the ram/ cpu / mobo out and testing them on their own.

As you can probably tell it's an issue as I don't want to splash out money if it's something simple being the problem :/

Thanks in advance

5. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Just to add:

I tried plugging a 3pin fan into the motherboard (i usually plug them straight into the psu) and it powers up then spins straight down afterwards, however through the power supply it is on as normal.

6. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

When you say you reset the cmos, did you actually unplug the battery for 30 seconds?

7. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

left it unplugged for more than 30 minutes :/

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The guy who said about the speaker is right. You can probably buy a cheap beeper for the motherboard on ebay. This will hopefully give you beep codes when you try to boot helping isolate the problem. This I think would be an effective and relatively cheap next step to take.

9. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motherboa...mputing_Networking&hash=item2c6b9b00ad&_uhb=1

Would this do the job? As regards to the speaker, where does it plug in because I haven't seen anything on my board.

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

11. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

thanks. I'll try that and a multimeter for my power supply

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Does the psu smell?

Find the source of the burn and you will likely find your problem part!

13. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

nothing smells as far as I can tell .

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This isn't true stop scare mongering! There is no "instant increase in heat", there is still a lump of copper attached to the cpu, with a volume of water suspended behind it, there will be an increase in temperature, this will probably lead to thermal cut out, which will lead to the computer shutting down. It's not like the second your pump cuts out, the chip rockets to 200 degrees and then the whole computer melts. I have had pumps die, or not even plugged pumps in and all that has happened is slightly undesirable temparatures. I would in no way recomend or endorse running with a broken pump, but if it does happen, its not going to fry your cpu very quickly.

15. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

I ordered a cheap speaker off eBay and I'm going to use a multimeter later to test the power supply.

16. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

tested a variety of cables and multimeter reads normal, so looks like it's the motherboard

17. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Just received the speaker. Which do i plug it into , speaker or buzzer?

[​IMG]

18. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Well I tried it in many places and it still doesn't work so my assumption is because none of the usb headers etc. work, then this might not work either.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Red is universally the plus wire and black is negative or zero. Assuming your speaker is the same as the one in the ebay link that means you want the red on pin 8 in that diagram and the black on pin 2. If your not getting anything you could try switching it around. Although I'm dubious about whether polarity actually matters when it comes to things such as speakers.

If you are not getting any beep codes I would think the motherboard is the problem. It would be the first thing I would try to replace.

20. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

Right i'm definitely not getting anything and I was doing it how you suggested. Looks like it must be the motherboard.