1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding advice on cutting acrylic

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PurE GaminG, 21 Jul 2012.

1. PurE GaminG

PurE GaminG What's a Dremel?

hi guys i need your help once again

guys i wish to cut some mirror acrylic 1/8 =3mm , white true LED 1/8 =3mm and s-lux 8mm

the only tools i have are jigsaw and plastic cutter i cant afford a brand saw or table saw.

so could use the jigsaw with fine tooth blade to cut a square notch out of the acrylic and is there specially way to cut mirror acrylic.

some pic of what to accomplish .

this the square i was talking about:

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

this is the acrylic cutout in the cosmos 2 case

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

so guys how could i cut these acrylics using jigsaw like i said cant afford any other tools or if you any other cheap recommendation plz do let me know

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Mirror acrylic is usually extruded, so a jigsaw will melt it. Your best bet is to file it.

3. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

I've found that it is better to use a blade with larger teeths rather than fine. The fine teeth one cuts slower and removes smaller pieces from the acrylic thus heating it up more -> melting. Depending on the thickness of the material there must be a sweet spot on what kind of teeth size and teeth spacing is ideal but for me almost any blade meant for wood has worked great...