1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me, help you!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by mikemaher205, 13 Feb 2013.

1. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Hey all.

I want to give something back to the F@H Bit-Tech/Custom PC community, but seeing as I'm not up there with the multi-server gods, I thought I'd be more useful and come up with a PPD chart.

My plan is simple. I want to produce a chart of hardware PPD, similar to the ones you fine on reviews of GPUs and FPS for example. I feel it would be a good place for new comers or people who are planning upgrades to come and look at what hardware produces what.

So what I need is a load of hardware and PPD comments or messages so I can produce a chart. For example;

CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) @ 3.30(3.70 Turbo) - 14,000 PPD
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 660 - 20,000 PPD

What I can do is have it average over many different results so it keeps it more open to variations in hardware. Thinking as well that for OC systems, may need to produce a second graph so it's yet again another comparison...

I don't know, maybe this has been tried before but I thought I'd try again. Start posting, as hopefully, even while I collect data, the comments will provide a source of PPD averages for people... :thumb:

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

An admirable ambition, a simple plan but a difficult reality...

You'll need to collect info on the hardware with any overclocks, but the PPD is also affected by OS, Folding client and/or core, project number, graphics drivers as well as interactions between GPU and CPU.

I don't want to discourage you, so I'll go away and assemble some numbers...

3. mikemaher205

This may be a reason it hasn't been done before. I was aware that the differences in hardware, clocks and OS could have effects, which is why I was thinking of going for an average result. So if someone's i5 did 20K, and another did 10K, I would report it in the graph as a 15K AVG result. It's planned to be a rough guide with a disclaimer of;

"Hardware combinations, Clock speeds and settings and Operating Systems may produce more or less than the stated PPD. This graph is an average of data collected from users of the forum and not a definite PPD index."

Its main purpose is to be able to answer the many questions like "How much PPD does a GTX 660 produce", thus saving a lot of people time and searching.

Its the same as the graphs on Bit-Tech/Custom PC, they aren't definite but merely a broad average that is relevant to as many people simultaneously. (Yes, I am trying to use big words to sound like I actually know what I mean.)

Even if this graph doesn't happen for a while, at least when people search for "PPD for a..." it'll show this post. Plus, I have Office 2013 Pro and want to start using all the features of it rather than Outlook and Word.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Is there any advantage to your proposed database over the Folding@Home GPU Statistics Database which takes submissions here, and be searched here?

It seems like a duplication of effort. Or is your database for CPUs only?

5. mikemaher205

That GPU database is more advanced that what I was aiming for, and maybe that should get added to a sticky post in a beginners/future folders post.

You are right in that it seems a duplicate effort, so maybe I will focus on CPU only. Just wanted to create a pictorial reference guide on CPU PPD, and long term work with the top folders to create a source of best hardware for budgets guide.

I'm starting to see why this may be a job for more experienced folders and enthusiasts.