1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AVG update kills iTunes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not entirely sure that is a glitch...

iTunes on Windows is offensively bad, almost like a virus.

Javerh likes this.
  3. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

+1

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

LOLz, didn't St Steve of Jobs once describe it as a cup of ice water to people roasting in hell?

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

iTunes rarely works properly anyway and often crashes... whats the issue? It just seems to me that all avg has done is highlight how awfuliTunes is and as a result seems to think its one giant virus in need of permenant deletion.

Andy

6. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I can just about forgive an AV software company if a new virus def screws up a piece of software that can be easily reinstalled as it's not like they can test it against every piece of software but when it screws up the OS it's designed for then that's a serious failure. AVG are obviously not testing their defs thoroughly enough.

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1

classic :) go AVG

Javerh likes this.
  8. clx

clx What's a Dremel?

+1

Some iTunes users have been left with the impression that Apple's software really was infected, with one user even stating that “even if you go back to Apple and get the [iTunes] setup again, [it] is infected." <- some clever people there...

9. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

And nothing of value was lost :hehe:

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Well it does have the same effect to the usability of my PC as a cup of icewater...

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I use both iTunes and AVG, and I admit I raised an eyebrow when the alert first came up. I figured it was a bug, and it looks like my initial suspicion was correct. Oh well. We patch and we move on. such is life in an age in which almost every part of our lives is run by a computer.

Not sure about all the iTunes hate, though. It's never crashed on me, and I haven't run into any major problems to speak of - no more so than any other media software I've tried.

-monkey

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

I abandoned AVG when their software got bloated, slow (AVG8) and false-positived on some very interesting files - msconfig.exe, hal.dll and lsass.exe among them. Another definition update later, it wasn't detecting them as trojans any more. To this day, I still wonder why AVG suddenly decided to mark my legit fear.exe (patch 1.08) as a trojan, when prior to that update it never had. The daft thing was, it didn't complain at the no-CD version.

13. sear

sear Guest

iTunes is basically the most painful application ever made. Maybe it works okay on OS X, but on Windows it's slow and clunky, uses tagging formats incompatible with other programs, is missing support for tons of files like FLAC (in favour of Apple's inferior ALAC), lacks lots of functionality and customisation, and takes a downright sinful amount of memory and CPU to run. AVG should just go ahead and install Foobar in place of iTunes for those customers, I think they'd be happier... provided they're smart enough to figure it out.

All that aside though, I'm not a fan of AVG anymore. Lately versions of their program have been extremely slow and resource-hogging, and it never really worked too well for me in removing any problems - I'd often have to manually search down viruses and clean them myself because it was unable to remove them. I've been using Eset Smart Security happily for the last while, and it's by far the best general security program I've ever used.

14. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Killing iTunes is a feature not a flaw, what's the problem here? Once the iTunes driver actually locked my cd drive and I couldn't use it. Even after uninstalling iTunes it wouldn't unlock the drive. Apparently the iTunes drivers didn't uninstall and I had to uninstall drivers with a special utility. What a PITA.

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Whats with all the iTunes hate? I could swear people here must have used it back in version 4.0 and never tried at again since.

Bit daft that AVG didn't test things properly first though. A false positive is better than not detecting anything at all though imo.

Javerh likes this.
  17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

iTunes has never got better. It's always been a sluggish, badly ported piece of software. As more and more "features" get added, the more it slows down, and the larger the download gets.

POS, only used for updating the iPhone here.

18. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I've used iTunes on the PC I built for my folks (they got free iPods through my Dads work for some odd reason). Compared to what I was used to using it was bloated, and the way iTunes seemed to grab everything and say "mine" and not let anything else use it (with regards to music and videos) is rather annoying.

My music, my videos, my choice. For now I tend to use VLC or Winamp. Far smoother running and less of a footprint on my system.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I freaking hate iTunes as well and that's the main reason why I didn't buy an ipod. However, I didn't realize the Zune software would be such a POS ... Is it really that hard when you're a company that programs complete operating systems to just make ONE application that's light and efficient ?I guess it is

Javerh likes this.
  20. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Hehe, creative Zen Cheesecake. Use whatever software you want!

Tags: Add Tags