1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ION folding possible?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by PS3/LanDi, 12 Jun 2009.

1. PS3/LanDi

PS3/LanDi Give me the Mirror

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Acer Aspire REVO
    1.6 atom, nvidia ion, 1gb ram- make that 2gb now ;0)
    160gb hdd -was listed on play.com as 159.99 for 8gb ssd but came with 160gb sata,and ive put vista ultimate on it for now

Was hoping that some gpu folding would be possible on this little machine as the gpu is cuda capable? but if it is possible i cant seem to get it to work,tried latest drivers and clients.
    just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with ion.

Atom is pants for folding btw so its gpu or nothing at the mo.
    If it does gpu fold i can see me buying lots and lots for work :cooldude:

2. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

The GPU will be pretty shoddy for folding as it only has 16 stream processors an is clocked low too.

3. PS3/LanDi

Im sure it will be a low ppd machine even if it does fold but thats ok, long as its more then cpu folding thats ok with me.

Im thinking if i could get 30 or so of these in a suite producing say 500ppd on a low gpu fold that would be well worth it.
    especially thinking of the space benifits etc these decices provide. :thumb:

could all still be a dream though if it doesnt work.

4. WorkdayKama

WorkdayKama What's a Dremel?

My onboard graphics is the same nvidia graphics as the ion (I believe), Geforce 9400. When it works it gives around 900ppd. The trouble is that it doesn't always work :( Sometimes it complains about an unstable machine. It might be related to the work unit but that just a guess.

5. PS3/LanDi

WorkdayKama Which version of the gpu client did you use to get it to fold at all?

all i keep getting is 'your gpu is not supported at this time' i have the latest nvidia ion drivers (which drivers do you use).

still some hope then! :)

6. WorkdayKama

WorkdayKama What's a Dremel?

The gpu client is Win32-GPU_Vista-623 and the drivers I'm using are the nvidia geforce 182.08 32bit vista. Not the latest I know, but I didn't like the way the latest drivers handled my dual monitor setup. Also I'm not on an Ion, mine's a Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H with an E8400 but the chipset & graphics is all handled by the 9400 which is the same as the Ion.
    I doubt you have Vista on an Ion, but it may be worth trying Windows 7.