1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :- Titanium 4 U | update 22-03-05 CARRYING HANDLE & HDD Mounted !!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by j.rhy@n, 10 Feb 2005.

1. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Hi..

First off I would like to introduce my self as being a newb to these forums and have been inspired by the work that goes on here.

I work in the Battle Simulation scene and have been given a Ruggedized 4U 19" rack-mount chassis (Lonely little thing sitting in the pile of rubble) anyways so I decided to take it on and create my first Mod. Ive already started to work on the box but I only came across your site 2 days ago and decided to give the Box a rework. I can show you the picture of what state its in now but some things will not change so I would rather keep it as a log showing my progress.

PC will comprise of the following spec:-

AMD Sempron 2400
    ATI 9800 SE
    1 x 256 DDR pc2700
    Asrock K7VT4A+ Mainboard

All not to expensive ....

First off the Box :-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ideas I have so far are inspired from this site but others are creations by my self (Even though I think you will know them)

As I said Ive been working on this prior to bumping in to your site and I have made some progress but I would like to re work it...

Parts List so far :-

4 Speed Revoltek Fan Controller
    120 mm Revoltek Blue LED fans
    80 mm Revoltek Blue LED Fans
    Biohazard etched look decal "180 mm"
    5.6 Inch Round Window
    Crome Carrying Handle
    Mixture of Spray Paint (Some that give you that Hammered Look)

I also plan on intergrating a speaker system so as less cables on the outside, weight of this box is heavy but I plan on keeping it at home..

Waiting on :-

Alluminium Fan Filters
    Green UV Cable Sleeving

At the moment I have no idea how it will look, but becuase its my first I would like it to be a suprise :thumb: But after this and having learnt a great deal more my futre mods will be pre planned on paper...

....................................................................................

First off and this week end I shall re work the Box Lid and mod the PSU...

PSU Below :-

**Edit

buying a new PSU

Im hoping the Green UV Sleeving will arrive in the morning as well as the Blue heat shrink, hopefully Monday I will show you its transformation..

Last edited: 23 Mar 2005
  2. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Below is a Sketch of the proposed top window , I have placed a posistion of PSU only for a guide to show orientation. The colour of the lid is the near colour of the spray (Forget the actual colour), the mod will be a Mixture of Grey, Green , Blue and Silver with the cabling being all UV.

The window will be placed in the centre but I also hope to intergrate the Alluminim Mesh in parts of the lid to make it a little bit more interesting..

Mesh !!!! Any Ideas on how to intergrate ?

[​IMG]

Some might think this is very basic but remember this is my first MOD and my progress will avail something very different to my original thread...

Last edited: 16 Feb 2005
  3. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

whered u get the mesh from?

just make a hole, and put the mesh in :D

4. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Mesh , well I kinda bumped in to it. I spent 2 days looking in varios shops for Alan Key type bolts and couldnt find long enough ones, but instead I found this Mesh. The price on the front of the stand was 3 Euros so I thought to my self Ill have some. Got to the till and it was 9.80 (Price on front was wrong) but I got it from Bahr its a DIY shop here in Germany...

I havnt got a scooby what its called in German....

As to sticking it in a hole "Thats my plan" but its how the hole looks that will make it unique..

5. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

I dont want to show you what has been done previous becuase its having a re vamp, but as I said some things will remain.

[​IMG]

This is a little snip of the Fan Controller (Small so as not to spoil things), it wont change but I shall show you how it was made later on when the time comes to re working it.

The Bluey/Green Spray paint can be viewed also..

6. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I ended up cutting a "form" for the mesh out of wood (the size of the hole), sanding it slightly smaller than the inside measurement of the hole (to account for the thickness of the mesh) and then carefully hammering it around the form.
    Here is a Link to the part of my log that shows how I did it. Pictures are better than words :).

Hope this helps.

7. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

New Lid and started to Mod..
    [​IMG]

Cleaned it up and remove all stickers, you can see that this Lid has many little holes and indents that I cant do much about .... but I think I can work around it..

My goodies came today from an Online shop.. "Oh and yes you do get a pack of sweet with every order"

[​IMG]

The Bio Hazard Decal will replace the nVidia logo and this will also give me new ideas for the Top Lid..

As I said in an Earlier post I want to put Speakers in the Top, I bought a set of Half Decent desktop speakers for a low price of 16 Euros. Stripped them down from the plastic and this is what Im left with..

[​IMG]

The speakers I want to place on the under side of the Lid/window

I dont have a Dremel so most of this is a little elbow grease and patients, I cut the holes with a Jigsaw and then later filed them out (Took me 3 hours just to do the holes) As you can see from the Image below the bottom hole is messed up becuase of the Vent holes.. SO I had to think fast and create another hole..

[​IMG]

Anyways after a few hours of elbow grease I managed to creat a Hole for a 80 mm Fan (Over Mainboard) and 2 Bio holes that will allow the siting of the speakers..

Im going to use the Mesh for the underside between the Speaker and Lid, and the same for the 80 mm Fan...

[​IMG]

So prior to leaving for home I decided to give it a coat of paint and allow it to dry over night ...

[​IMG]

More to come soon...

8. CYRiX

CYRiX What's a Dremel?

very nice, maybe i overlooked this but will this be a server or just a computer?

9. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Specs in my First post..

Its just a lonely old Server Box looking for a Home... :D

This is infact my Main PC...

Right Here

The server Box will eathier replace my big white Tower or some where else..

Big Tower right side PC Room

I was going to Mod my PSU but the Emacs 400 Watt PSU is a biatch to get the PCB off with out blowing my self up, so tommorow I shall purchase an easier one to Mod and start to Add plexi Glass and Sleeving...

Last edited: 11 Feb 2005
  10. repawn

repawn What's a Dremel?

This looks like it will be real nice - I like the idea of integrating the speakers into the case. The window looks good and I can't wait to see the fan controller. :thumb:

11. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

The window you see mounted has infact been removed and the first Blue Lid you see tossed in the skip, the one with the Bio Signs will be the new lid and the window re mounted with the new Bio Hazard Decal as well as 2 x speakers and a 80 mm Blue LED fan...

Last edited: 11 Feb 2005
  12. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Fitting Decal and Window...

Another Day and Back to the Top Cover...

Original..

[​IMG]

I removed the nVidia Logo from the original window, it not an easy job but Im glad the wife has a hair dryer. Just heat it up and peel it off. The hardest job is removing the tacky stuff left behind from the logo...Alchol from local chemist does the trick..

[​IMG]

Then fitted with the Bio Hazzard Vinyl Decal, I think it looks much better and will allow me to add a little theme....

[​IMG]

Fitting it to the lid was harder than I thought becuase the hole I cut out was a little small , but it made sure it was a nice and tight fit and after it was sealed there is no way it will fall out...

Final picture of window in place..

[​IMG]

13. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

i dunno what oyur thought would be but, I liked the off-set speakers, and since you messd up the first time becasue of the holes, oyuplaced them both on one side, what if you moved te top speaker to the riht side, and made a second fan hole on the left? it would give balance, and cooling power (depending whats located there)

14. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

ye its a good idea.... but the PSU causes problems and nothing can go above it ... From the out side you wont be able to notice where the speakers are... but Im thinking off cutting another hole in the blank space. But Im also seriously thinking of putting an LCD is that blank space...

Im not sure yet, when I have added one speaker and re fitted the Door then I can see how it looks.Then I can decide what to do next...

15. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

looking real sweet, I like that blue, what type of blue is it?

I hope the mod goes well, its looking good ATM!

- S

16. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Not sure what colour it is (i.e the name) here is a picture instead...If a German dude can translate it all the better...If not when my wife is awake in morning I shall get her to translate... (My German sucks)

[​IMG]

PS. She made the choice of colours...

17. CySlyde

CySlyde What's a Dremel?

Mind you my german is really rusty....

but i think it says that it is hammer impact glossy, can't think of the word in between those though

18. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

PSU Modding sleeving...

So tonight after all in bed it was a night of sleeving..

First off the PSU , its a 420 Watt LC Super Silen PSU and cost me a mear 29 Euros... Its all I need for the PC Im running..

Stripped Down "There goes all warranty..."

SOme of the plugs that I dont need I unsoldered as close to the PCB as possible and done away with them.... "Less wires to sleeve"

[​IMG]

Removed this Plug >>
    [​IMG]

These friging loops are a pain in the bum becuase all have to come off and allow seperate sleeving for each socket..

[​IMG]

So once the sleeving is complete all I got to do was tidy it all up and put it all back together again...

Job Done

[​IMG]

3 hours of work....

*********Edit....Opps missed a sticker.... It doesnt looks so tidy as I thought it would but I think once its fitted it will look much better...When I go shopping next I might replace the 120 mm Black fan with a blue LED one..

Last edited: 19 Mar 2005
  19. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Hammer Impact(proof) Spraypaint Glossy I think

20. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Ye it is Hammer Impact ... I think I mentioned it in my earlier posts..