1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors insurance for a driving n00b.

Discussion in 'General' started by Piratetaco, 15 May 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

insurance for a driving n00b. ok i'm learning to drive and i'm wondering what is cheaper.
    1. get insurance for my dad's car(2002 toyota avensis)
    2.get £200 nissian micra(or other small cheap car)and insure ,MOT ,etc.

which road did you lot go down when learning to drive?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Personally, soon as I get me motor, I'll pay for my own insurance (however expensive it might be) and just build up my own no claims bonus.

Saying that however, I'm, prepared to pay the £1600-odd per year it's going to cost me in insurance.

3. Piratetaco

i've just got a quote of £1100 to be put on my dad's insurance.

4. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

find a cheaper insurace company.

for a ford focus 1.8 LX its £800 ontop of mums insurance so brings total insurance upto 1k (thats as a 18yrold driver still on provisional)

i think its with A-plan insurance

5. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

IIRC, back when I learned to drive. 1998 I got insured on my sisters pug 205 for £450 as a named driver with her insurance. But when I got my own car, (crappy fiesta) i was about £600.

If you can afford it get you own insurance sorted out for your own car. Means you can build up your no claims bonus which helps a lot when you start buying better/newer/nicer cars.

MiniG

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Micra is a very good choice for a first car. They handle nicely, they're quite nippy when they want to be, and the engines run for ever (pity that you can bend the bodywork with your little finger though.) Only a few things to watch out for - throttle bodies (they fail and can be costly to replace, common symptons are over- or under-fueling and the engine cutting out for no reason), some rust spots (although there are generally no major rust problems) and the timing chain, which can fail (the chain should only rattle for about a second or so after startup, if it continues then it means the chain is worn). Being group 3, they're cheap to insure, becuase they don't usually have a "racer" image (although there are a few modified ones around). Another bonus is that usually no-one's ragged the arse off them. Get the 1.3 if you can afford it, it's worth the extra, especially on the auto.

7. micb

micb Minimodder

Being a named driver on someone elses policy does not give you NCD.

It is well worth getting your own policy building up you own no claims discount.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Buy a BMX and kid on your Elliot out of ET, you could even get the basket for the front.

Would save you a fortune on motoring costs, but the therapy afterwards may be expensive.

9. Piratetaco

how the hell i'm i supposed to carry a 5 n half ft snowboard on a BMX?

10. aWl

aWl What's a Dremel?

Ok, for my 17th my dad had a miracle find for a prezzie...A mini in alright condition (now is pretty damned good condition) for 50 notes...and I love the lil bugga, but the cheapest insurance I can find for it is £1300!!!!!! Does anyone know somewhere I could get cheaper? PLEASE :waah: the normal ammount I've found is £2000+ I've searched until I can search no more, so please, one of you has to know a cheap insurance brokers.
    -awl NOT FAIR YOU B*STARDS :waah: I could sell my mini now for a lot more than we bought it for, buy a sh tty car and pay for a years insurance..
    HELP this first time driver please

11. micb

micb Minimodder

Have you tried Swintons as a broker?

The is one in Bedford.

Or phoned Direct Line?

12. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Im looking at mini insurance to
    unfortunatly most people who drive minis buy them to go crazy in (main reason I want one :) ) So yeah, thats they the insurance is expensive, also if its a really old one, there under collectables insurance....
    I need to look for insurance, ive heard Direct Line is the cheapest, what does anyone else think?? 18 yr old, in a B area....i got quoted £928 on my moms 2.0 Golf S Reg :) (SDi Desiel)

- M@

13. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

It does on some. You can get the policy changed to the named drivers name and they can keep the NCB

14. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Try frizzell , they're backed by the Civil Service's union - so most definately a good company.

I found them as my father was in the civil service when I started to drive - a Peugeot 309 1.3XL effort was £149 when I was learning to drive. Now that I drive to uni and my father's retired I changed my policy. Now I'm the only driver (so no claims) at full compresensive cover for £450, and I'm only 21 (I think 25 is the age where it drops?)

The cost of insurance actually went up after I passed my test - I think it's because there was no longer a requirement to have an experianced driver with me, but hey - the AA, RAC, mainstream people all wanted over £1,000.

15. micb

micb Minimodder

Really?

You got any proof or names of insurures who do that?

That would be usefull to some people.

I have spoken to quite a few people who work in the insurance business and they always have said it does not work out like that.

16. Piratetaco

just tried norwich union.
    £1700 for the H-reg mirca(998cc)
    thats a joke. i'll going to ring around a few more.wharrad i'm going to try Frizzell so thanks for that one. i'm going to see if its cheaper to be a named driver.

one last question.

does any one think its worth paying £200 for the micra(37K miles.no rust,and its never been owned by anyone over 60)to have it sat on my drive for a few months till i pass my test.then get it insured?

17. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

One of my mates did that too - had been on his moms insurance for 5 or so years and they certified him as having the NCD as well...

Give Elephant a try, I've alwas found them competitive.

As far as the Micra goes fro £200 that sounds like a deal - does it have MOT?

18. Piratetaco

MOT'd till next year(may i think) new brakes all round, new head unit with CD player too. i want to buy it now and start driving now.but i might wait till i pass my test.

19. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

I'd snap that up - just sold my K reg Fiesta (slightly bent due to theving scum) with no MOT and 75K for £150....

20. Piratetaco

well i have to wait for the current owner go to west brom and come back before i have a chance of getting it. but i've asked the owner and she says its mine if i want it when she comes back. shame the insurance is £1400 for just me. time to scam the insurance scammers me thinks.

Tags: