1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice So my new Dan case should be arriving soon and....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nimbu, 3 Feb 2017.

1. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

..... I need to figure out the rest of my bits. This will be my main main rig. Given Ryzen and the fact that I have a good set of base parts already. CPU / Mobo change is off the cards. I mainly game in at 2048 x 1152 so the 980GTX is enough for me.

Here is what I already have to go into it:

i5-6400T
    Asus H170i - D3
    NVME m2 OS drive
    16GB RAM
    Geforce 980GTX

I'm thinking I will need the following.

1) CPU cooler, toss up between a L9i (I have one in another rig and its great) or a cryorig c7? Any one had any experience of the Cryorig? I'm looking for quietness over performance as I have a T state processor.

2) SSD Storage: is 500GB enough, if so I have a 840 Pro or should i get something bigger and or faster?

3)SFX-L PSU: Again I have SFX PSU's but the 80mm fan noise is the loudest in my system. Anyone got one of these, any thoughts comments on them?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

2. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Really jealous. Came close to ordering one myself but couldnt quite justify it. So much work seems to have gone into it I really look forward to seeing how your build goes.

Regards the powersupply, have you lookded at the Corsair SF PSU range? Im sure they come with a 90mm fan.

As for the storage I run to 500gb SSDs now. One for OS and games, the other for media but its always horses for courses regards what people actually need.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a C7 - been using it with a 65w 4770. Idles at about 34C but I've not had time to stress test it. Silent at that speed.

4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

What case is that in Tom?

5. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

BTW my nvme boot disk is 512gb, so I'm thinking the 512gb 840 pro should be more than enough.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

And.

Looks like they used a Cryorig in the second video (the first that I posted).

7. Parge

Also, I would like to abuse my mod powers to order you to supply us with a BUILD LOG

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

NH-L9i is a good choice. If the Cryorig C7 were cheaper here (everywhere is either out of stock, or selling at £40+) it may make sense as a slightly cheaper slightly louder alternative, but with the NH-L9i available for cheaper it's the obvious choice, and doesn't have the base compatibility issue the C7 does.
    If you have a higher TDP (and/or overclocked) CPU the LP53 paired with the NF-A9x14 has the best performance within the Z-height limit, but the LP53 is even harder to get a hold of (cheapest place I could find was at Alternate.de for £43.50 delivered, plus the cost of the fan). But with the 6400T being only 35W it's total overkill.

9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Thanks, I also have the option of picking up from the states plenty of colleagues moving back and forth.

Parge, I always start well with a build log, but then get impatient and rush the build through

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

So I have been thinking. (Dangerous I know!)

Cooler I'll repurpose the l9i I have at, so save a little cash there.

Still stuck on the psu.

I definitely don't want to use the sfx I have at the moment, the 80mm fan is the loudest thing in the current n case rig.

So either it's the corsair offering or the sfx-l from Silverstone.

Disks I am going to keep as is. 512gb nvme for boot and 500gb 840 pro as a data / app drive.

11. Parge

I honestly don't think the Corsair 92mm is much quieter than the SS unit I was using (had both, now just have the corsair - both 600w). Maybe my SS was exceptionally quiet - but the difference to my ears is minimal.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Having just moved my rig from the Ncase M1 to a the Dan A4, I'd REALLY recommend getting a modular Silverstone SFX PSU, purely because that would let you use the PP05-E cable set (if not included with the PSU). The A4 is easy to assembly in every way other than power cable routing, which is extremely cramped. I've got an old ST45SF-G without the flat cables (due to be replaced with the SX800-LTi once it actually turns up in the EU), and even with just the bare minimum of ATX, EPS, PCIe and SATA branches it's cramped enough that you need to hold panels in place while you screw them on. The Corsair SFX units themselves are nice, but the included cables are infamous for being inflexible.
    If you're intending to make a custom cable set then it's not an issue.

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

There is a custom set available for the Corsair SFX series for about £30

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

10 days still waiting! Abuse those mod powers some more plz

15. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Yeah just saw that too.

Hmm I was thinking of going all out and making custom cables too.

Hmm need to have a think. I have the Silverstone 600w and could save even more by reusing that. But you know shine new stuff and all that.

I was also thinking of going the custom cabled route. Given that it's just mobile, one sata and gpu, would really neaten it up. That and I have 4 sets of the Silverstone cables here already (2 flat and two regular, I have to on much stuff please don't judge me).