1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Laptop Switchable Graphics problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by javaman, 24 Feb 2012.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey Everyone,

Im having a problem with my thinkpad edge E320 I got at christmas. It won't switch from Intel graphics to AMD Discreet card when I right click on the battery manager to switch to high perfomance graphics its gives a warning message:

I don't have anything running and nothing connected, i've ran virus and malware scans which all returned clear. Intel Drivers are up to date as is battery manager drivers. I can't update AMD drivers as I need to switch for them to be detected.
    Does anyone know what is causing this problem or how to solve it? Should I just send my laptop back to be looked at? TBH I really want to avoid due to needing it for university work.

Thanks in advance!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 7 (and Vista) uses the GPU to render the interface.
    Disable Aero. That means use Aero Basic - XP engine (CPu does everything, shadows are done by the GPU, and assists here and there. Or use Windows Classic (CPU only) theme.
    Once done, switch GPU, and enable back Aero.

If that doesn't work, then it's definitely a background program that you are missing. (it can also be your A/V, music player, or even driver setting panel. Make sure Intel stuff doesn't run.)

javaman likes this.
  3. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Have you got the charger plugged in? I seem to remember some laptops only using power hungry features i.e. anything for performance, when plugged in.

javaman likes this.
  4. javaman

No luck with Aero. Any recommended programs to help locate the problem program?

Doesn't matter if it is or isn't it still wont work. It never had a problem before switching on the battery either.

5. javaman

Son of a bitch, Nice call goodbytes. Apparently it was logitech's gaming software that was the problem. It sneaked an icon in the system tray. Now to work out why it affects the GPU and what effect exiting has

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

There's an "Enable Enhanced Graphics" option in the Gaming Software options menu, perhaps its that?

javaman likes this.
  7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It uses the GPU to render it's interface. Follow what Lancer said. I don't have this software. In fact, I like my laptop super light with startup program. Like I have my touchpad driver/program, and that is all. No A/V. (downloads on done on my desktop).

While I do use a Logitech mouse, as my mouse (VX Nano) only has back/Forward button as special buttons. I don't need Logitech software/drivers to make it work.

8. javaman

Cheers lance, ill fiddle about with it and see if the clash stops, if not i can save the settings to the mouse then disable the software. Should only need a mapping for desktop and one for gaming. Atm playing minecraft, skyrim and fallout so dont need all mappings at hand.

Gonna try getting a boot launcher and delaying guff loading. Loads in a few seconds anyway but every little helps. Probably invest in an ssd