1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Virgin Media being useless

Discussion in 'General' started by noizdaemon666, 7 Aug 2015.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hi guys,

A friend of mine currently has Virgin broadband. She's moving house in the next few weeks so wanted to also move with Virgin. Unfortunately Virgin haven't yet covered her new street with no ETA either.

Here's where they're being useless. They've said because she can't have them in her new home they'll have to cancel the contract and she'll have to pay the early termination. This seems wrong to me as she doesn't really want to leave. Nor does she want to pay the early termination fee which I completely agree with not paying. Anyone know a way round it without having to pay the fee?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

I had exactly this issue with virgin media 6 years ago. Been with them since they were NTL and moving into an area with no access they said I had to pay a £50 fee as the contract was being ended early.

After a few heated phone calls, I was threatened with legal action if I did not pay. I waited right up until the last minute of the payment deadline day then called and payed, told them where to stick their cable then ordered BT infinity.

Never looked back.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To be fair your friend should have checked prior to buying the house/flat or renting the house/flat, that she would have been able to get Virgin in order to carry on using there service.

Virgin could do better, but the only thing personally I can think off is getting the early termination fee reduced, as although they have not built in the area "yet" they could build it in the future.

As it is though Virgin are not being useless, as there is nothing they can do really as they cannot exactly get the whole area built within a couple of weeks and dependent on how close the nearest network is, depends on whether it would even cost in.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I've only ever been stung with an early termination fee is when I've moved house within the agreed contract length which was 12 months, after that period I've been able to cancel services.

If you've done the agreed contract length I'd argue this, at least for a reduction for being a loyal customer

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Exactly this.

Sadly she's seen as in Breach of contract. as she's moving to an area they don't serve. And whilst that is nobody fault Virgin can't be forced to provide the service where they have no equipment.

In essence as she's changing the contract shes the one seen as in the wrong sadly.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

While I don't doubt the above is true, it's still fairly rubbish.
    It's not like you could necessarily foresee moving with the period of what could be quite a long (maybe 24 month) contract, and if they cannot provide the service in the new location still within the region they sell and market in then they should at least share responsibility for that.
    It's not like you're going to move just in order to get out of a Virgin broadband contract.

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've moved mid-contract to a non cable area before and been allowed to leave, no questions asked - was expecting a battle when placing the call, but it didn't come. Might be worth calling up again until you get someone that's a bit more pragmatic?

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To be honest why should they?

There are alot of areas that Nynex started to build and then were legally told to stop, which is why there are areas that have the equipment in the ground but never connected.

Then there are areas like Chester where, residents complained and complained about the noise from the construction, the cabinets not looking good enough to be in the area and hey presto the build was stopped and never went fully in, that was not Nynex's fault that was the fault of the NIMBY's and then they complain that they only get slow broadband speeds from ADSL.

It's not always the companies fault and they shouldn't be punished because they were stopped from being able to provide services, in the area due to land owners and residents etc.

Yes they could reduce the cost as a gesture of goodwill but they don't have to.

Don't mean to sound a Di** but if people or companies breach a contract they should have to deal with the consequences regardless of who they are, or how they have breached the contract.

9. noizdaemon666

Thanks for all that guys I did think as much.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

If you look at the terms it does say all this. Should of checked. Luck of the draw on the customer agent you get if they let you off or not.

I find all other broadband crap in my opinion so refuse to move in somewhere without Virgin lines.

there customer service is pretty mediocre but its worth dealing with the odd time you need to over the years for what is otherwise a great connection.

11. noizdaemon666

Did I ask for people to quote terms and conditions at me? No. Nothing constructive to say over and above "should readbthe small print" please keep your post to yourself.

Thanks.

End of thread.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I was just saying that they are well within there rights to do what there doing and there's nothing much you can do other than ring again and see if you get a more sympathetic agent.

Now go calm down. Punch a pillow or something.

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I can't add anything useful other than what has already been said, but I am genuinely interested in what happens if the house move isn't your fault. Say the landlord decides to sell the house you're in for example

VM can't expect to charge you for early termination if you're unable to find another place that they supply surely?

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

No, you posted asking for advice, and the advice you've received is for your friend to chance their arm and call VM again in the hope that they get a more sympathetic agent this time. Secondary advice is to read the small print more carefully in future.

Sorry if you don't like these suggestions, but don't ask for advice and then their your toys out of the pram because you don't get the answer you were looking for.

Hope your friend gets it sorted out.

B1GBUD likes this.
  15. noizdaemon666

Edit: I was very rude in this thread for no reason, apologies all.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2020
  16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Some advice is good, some isn't so useful, and some you just plain won't want to hear. Happens in every situation where a recommendation for a particular course of action is being offered up. I can't see anyone rubbing your face in anything unnecessarily, so there's really no reason to be defensive. What's more, lots of people have tried to help so overall the thread had been a success I would say?

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Just the way the cookie crumbles.

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Been in this situation before, its a pita.

I got moved onto virgin ADSL.

Don't do that!

:lol: