1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows True Blood Season 1 - UK Terestrial Premiere Tonight

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Oct 2009.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

All I've been told by friends is don't watch this with the family, and they liked it.

3. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

ah yes I remeber seeing the adverts, looks good, should be watching it tonight.

4. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

minor warning - if you have read any of the books, prepare to be confused.

Season 1 not so bad as Season 2 with the confusion ...

5. GreatOldOne

Oh yes. It's not the sort of thing you watch with your Gran. :lol:

Gratuitous Sex? Check
    Violence? Check
    Blood & Gore? Check

TBH though, none of it is out of place or done for cheap titilation. It's an integral part of the story, and shows how these characters think and act.

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I have to say if you think the first episode is way too cheesy and predictable, but you find some of it amusing. Keep watching. By series 2 they seemed to realise it's a bit of a joke and take themselves a lot less seriously. The first part of series 1 drove me mad as it does treat the viewer like an idiot really hammering home things that I damn well noticed the first time thanks! (
    I'm alluding to the thing with Sam mainly. It was obvious to me at the very beginning, I didn't need them to keep giving me heavy handed "clues".
    ).

"Sucky" does appear to get less and less attractive as it goes on too... but hey it has Eric the Viking. That keeps me watching :blush:

Oh and I still find it great that Jason is played by Vinnie from Home & Away!

7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

does this series actually resemble the books? or is much the same as what happened with the dresden files, ie same character names, similar setting, but the characters are totaly different and the plots are not even similar in style?

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Not read the books but I enjoyed Season1.
    Got season 2 ready to watch now... :)

9. GreatOldOne

Yes, but
    they did try and cover their tracks with the whole Sam and his friend being in the same shot, only to hammer home what was going on after a certain murder. Mrs GOO and I cottoned on to what he was pretty much immediatly

Yes. And Bill 'Southern Gent' Compton is played by an Essex Boy! :lol:

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Season 1 (at least) does follow the first book, kind of, but they've introduced other characters and storylines that run in parallel with the story from the book.

It kind of makes sense - after all, the books are all written in the first person, and a TV series that focussed only on one character could get boring quickly.

There are some changes that they've made to the main story that I'm not too sure how they'll pan out
    Bill not being an investigator for the Queen of Louisiana is one - given how much some of the later books are based around that premise, they'll have some tweaking to do
    - but they don't detract from the series too much. They certainly haven't done a Dresden on it.

Oh, and the opening credits are totally awesome :D

And he's shagging Anna Paquin to boot ;)

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Seen the first series, and just started series 2 yesterday. I got hooked. Great stuff. :D

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

also, Generation Kill starts tonight on C4 right after true blood :)

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

season 2 goes much more wildly away from the books ...

my problem is that i read all 8 books in the gap between seasons 1 and 2 ... so i was pretty hyped for the second season ... and pretty let down by Alan Ball in his interpretation.

and, after 9 months of intarwebz rumoring about a new Sookie book this month, and another new one in April, i find out that this month's release is a collection of related shorts and whatnot. half of which, ive already read. boo.