1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks School me on Gigabit routers!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wicked_Sludge, 25 Jul 2011.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

whos hot and whos not? budget is ~$100. i need at least 4 ports and would prefer wireless capabilities (i dont use it except for when guests stop by).

i checked out the Linksys Ex000 series, but after reading through the forums about the nightmarish firmware upgrades and overheating issues i think its out (but points for having a factory overclocked CPU...in a router!).

the Cisco RVS4000 seems OK, but might be running out of support soon and doesnt have wireless.

lots of reviews on newegg stating the Belkin F5D8235-4 drops connections constantly, which makes me leery.

those are really the only options ive found on newegg for 4x gigabit ports...is the selection really this limited or am i missing something?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

whats the gigabit router for ?

if its large file transferring between several machines you could just get a gigabit switch instead which leaves more options for a router

3. Wicked_Sludge

i suppose i could add a switch to my current configuration....i just thought it would make networking more complicated.

ive just recently set myself up a home file server that i want accessible from home and abroad. im still very much a novice when it comes to networking but im slowly figuring things out. how much more difficult does stacking a switch on a router make things? does one have to forward ports on both devices?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've got Linksys WRT320N, which correct me if im wrong, it's new name is E2000?

great router, does get slightly hot when put on a table surface. i either put it on the floor leaning on a wall, ports sticking out upwards; or put it on my monitor stand that has good ventilation.

on the day i got it, flashed into DD-WRT firmware and never had any problems with it, updated to latest build yesterday without problem.

5. adam_bagpuss

no configuration is required. The switch just forwards traffic unless you get a managed switch but i highly doubt you need the advanced options of that.

since your internet is not going to saturate 100mb connection simply link your current router to a gigabit switch over a single LAN cable.

attach all your devices that you want to make use of the new gigabit link to the switch so they can effectively bypass the router when talking to each other giving you gigabit Cheesecake as well as internet access.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You'd be hitting the upper limit of your budget, after adding a radio card but if you like control and freedom to do what you want with your router, including some choice in hardware, the Ubiquiti Routerstation Pro is some of the best kit available. It's just a motherboard for a router, you add your own wireless cards. You would need to make or find your own enclosure though...

7. Wicked_Sludge

so i guess a switch would better suite my needs seeing how i already have a router. however, im sure there is room for improvement in that dept. as well since its a bottom line belkin.

theres options galore for gigabit switches, any preferences?

lysol, while the routerstation appears to be the ultimate in geeky hardware pr0n, i think it may be a little overkill for my needs. i just need some decent transfer speeds over my wired network is all...im not trying to rule the universe :D

EDIT: also, one of THESE has popped up on craigslist near me for $40. gets decent reviews on newegg...although it seems like just about every router ive looked at people have complained about it locking up randomly.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011
  8. krishan

krishan Minimodder

9. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

I picked up one of these a while ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YCMI8O/ref=oss_product

It's not the cheapest one ever, but it works fine. Definitely faster than going via my 100Mb/s router, but I don't have another gigabit switch to test the speeds comparatively unfortunately. Allegedly this switch has automatic power saving modes, so it might be one to look at if it's plugged in permanently and that's your sort of thing. Again, no comparative data on power draw though.

10. adam_bagpuss

personally i use either netgear switches or zyxel switches
    8 port gigabit switch should be pretty cheap too

11. Wicked_Sludge

i dont really need 8 ports since its just me and my fiancee and the occasional wireless guest, so i was thinking about the 5 port version of the GS608 that krishan posted; the GS605.

has gobs of good reviews on newegg and is only $20 after rebate.

im still debating that buffalo router though...

12. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

+1 for just adding a switch.

I've just got a cheapo tplink 8 port which has been fine.

13. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

EDIT: Double Post

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  14. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

EDIT: and triple post, internet died while posting :(

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  15. Wicked_Sludge

pulled the trigger on the GS605, 8 more GB of RAM each for my fiancee and I's primary machines, and a 50ft cat6a cable to replace the 40ft cat5 cable that is running through the loft and is just barely long enough.

i cant wait for high speed transfer over this network. my fiancee was having problems streaming a largish file today :(

16. Wicked_Sludge

the UPS man delivered my goodies today!

the gigabit switch is a very nice quality little machine. i tested the old setup by transferring a 175MB file from one machine to the other and back again 2 times which resulted in an average transfer time of 17 seconds. then i hooked up the switch and repeated the test with an average transfer time of just under 3 seconds :D VERY satisfied with this result.

unfortunately, im still getting choppy play when my fiancee streams from the server to her machine. its better but still not right. will have to investigate further....

also, this happened...